tips for eliminating new carpet smell?

joleedeeAugust 28, 2009

I live in an apartment and the carpet (which is actually a year old) still reeks! I have gotten the carpet steam cleaned and have been airing out the room for days, but it still smells like new carpet. I've done some research and found that it most likely comes from the glue or backing underneath the carpet. I am sensitive to this smell and it makes me wheezy and have a sore throat. Does anyone know of anything that has worked for this situation? Do you think that getting some area rugs to cover up the carpet would cover up the odor?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
house_elf

Try sprinkling baking soda around, wait a few minutes then vacuum.

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 7:22AM
joleedee

i will try that today and let you know how that goes, thank you.

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 2:49PM
joleedee

i sprinkled baking soda around and left it overnight and vacuumed the next day, it seemed to make little difference. the room does smell better when there's a lot of wind and cross ventilation, but when the windows are closed it gets bad pretty quick. do you think an area rug would cover up the outgassing? or should i put in hardwood floors?

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 2:01AM
macbirch

What are the carpet and the underlay made of?

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 4:49AM
graywings123

If the odor in the carpet has not dissipated in a year, it's not going to. And I can't see how area rugs would help.

For the sake of your health, move out of that apartment.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™