Cleaning oven racks

jane__nyAugust 25, 2009

Self-cleaning oven turned out pretty good, but the racks have months of burnt on grease. I didn't put them through the self-cleaning cycle - I was told it would turn them black. Any easy way to get them clean?

My house is for sale and I'm trying to make my oven look good.

Thanks,

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mustangs81

I found this by googling--it worked for me. Worth a try since it's easy and cheap...

This is an overnight process. In the evening just put the dirty oven racks in the bathtub and fill the tub with enough hot water so the racks are completely submerged. For this to work, the water needs to be very, very hot. Using water that is warm, not hot, does not give the same results. I add regular laundry detergent to the water. You can also use the granulated-type dishwashing detergent, but I think the laundry detergent does a better job. Be sure to put down an old towel or something soft to protect the bottom of the tub from scratches before you put in the racks. Slosh the detergent around in the water, check to be sure that the racks are completely submerged, shut off the water, and go to bed.

In the morning you will find that the baked-on grime that was on the oven racks has already dissolved overnight in the water and detergent and can be easily rinsed away. All thatÂs left to do is to rinse the racks and dry them with a soft cloth.

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 4:53AM
More Discussions
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™