Steam cleaner additives?

neetsiepieAugust 5, 2010

I have a steam cleaner and I love it sooo much! I've never been able to clean things like I can with it. Now, the problem is that I don't like the 'steamed' smell after I've cleaned a room with it. I like a room that smells pretty, I particularly love lavender...but my DH can't abide by the smells of anything chemical. No plug ins, reed diffusers, commercial cleaners, etc.

So what would be a good alternative to the steam smell? I don't imagine I can add anything to the water, but was thinking maybe I could do a lavender infused water, then strain out the lavender. Would that work? I've never tried anything like that so I don't even know if soaking lavender would result in scented water!

Im particularly concerned about one of our bathrooms. It's got a tile floor, and the steamer cleans the offending scent from the grout around the toilet, but I want a fresh scent afterward.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Pesky, I responded on the Decorating Forum, but had another thought. It addition to the steam cleaner manufacturers warning against additives, there is so little water used in steam cleaning that there would not be much effect. You might be better off making up the lavender water and then spraying or lightly pouring it on the floor towards the end of cleaning the room.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 8:16AM
jannie

I make cologne or toilet water from flowers I like. Roses, lilacs, lavendar all work well. boil the petals in water, strain out the solids, mix in a little rubbing alcohol and liquid glycerin (both available in any pharmacy). Put in a spray bottle anm use as an air freshener. Shake well each time you use it. It doesn't keep very long-maybe a month or two.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 3:38PM
bellashere

I add a little rose concentrate to my cleaning solution and it's never hurt my bissell steam cleaner. You don't want an over powering aroma anyway, right?

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
lgal63
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
Sebo K3 vs Bank
Our remodel included replacing carpet and tile flooring...
Saje
Sponsored Products
Exira Freestanding Tub Faucet with Resin Tower
Signature Hardware
Simple Designs Basic Desk Lamp - 12H in. - Black - LD1003-BLK
$22.99 | Hayneedle
Blue Foot Pillow
$9.99 | zulily
Fin Trivet by Souda
$60.00 | Lumens
Runner Rug: Julie Cohn Gray 2' 6" x 10'
Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/ Outdoor Ocean Natural/ Blue Rug (5'3 x 7'7)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™