Protecting the tub while tiling?

barbcollinsApril 29, 2012

What's the best way to protect the tub when you are tiling the shower enclosure?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harry_wild

What I done in the past is to place a heavy tarp or a small lite rug the size of the tub in the tub and tape it to the tops of the tub so that when tiles fall they hit they land on the tarp or rug. Otherwise, you can use plywood sheets 1/2" or thicker on top to cover the tub too. Plywood works the best because you can stand on it and it is level. Just need to know if you have shower sliding doors or not! If you do; you need to remove them before the tiling begins.

You can still do it without protection if take the wall tiles out one by one if they are small size tiles and remove them by hand.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 7:38PM
barbcollins

This is a new bathroom & tub, and no there are no shower doors.

I am more worried about dripping thinset/grout etc. I am a messy tiler, and tend to get it all over myself and the floor, then step in it etc. I've tried taping plastic bags before, but that didn't work work well.

I was told about a product you paint on the tub then peel it off later, but it is very expensive.

I bought a roll of 3 mil plastic at the store today and am trying that. Will see how it goes.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 8:53PM
pricklypearcactus

I taped the edges of my tub (acrylic) and taped down plastic and then a painting canvas. I think I put cardboard in the bottom of the tub (on top of the canvas) to help minimize grinding thinset grit into the canvas and possibly scratching the tub. It was my first tiling job, so I was an incredibly messy tiler. I found that I needed plenty of slack in the canvas to keep from having it pull away from the tub. The thinset is fairly thick (not liquid) so the mess usually seemed to be gobs and grit. It took me a while so I would regularly pick up, vacuum up the dried blobs and grit.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 10:57AM
Billl

Tape the poli down with painters tape and put something solid on the tub base. If you don't have something solid to stand/sit on, you'll invariably end up pulling the plastic away.

Keep a bucket of water and wet sponge handy to wipe up any drips that sneak by. Also, a little prep goes a long way. Get all of your supplies within reach so you aren't in and out of the tub a million times.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
mother of pearl tile
I'm thinking of doing my master bath with mother of...
berdavids
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Sponsored Products
Lake Como Rectangular Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
SomerTile 'Arbor Subway White' 12.25x12.25-inch Glass Mosaic Tiles (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Alloy Deco Blizzard Glass Mosaic Tile
$16.99 | TileBar
Sasha II Marble Grigio Bronze Three-Light Mini Pendant
$580.50 | Bellacor
Bamboo 4-Slat Composite Deck Tiles (Set of 11)
Overstock.com
Stone Ripple Utensil Holder
$18.99 | zulily
Indoor Area Rug: Subtle Memories Exciting 5' 3' x 7' 6" Plush
Home Depot
Hillsdale New Hudson 26 in. Swivel Counter Stool - Black - 4506-826
$149.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™