Tile Pro's 6x24 Porcelain an Issue??

ms222April 9, 2012

Reading up a little bit from 2010 posts stating that anything less than a 3/16" grout joint may be an issue for 6x24 tiles.

I fell in love today with 6"x24" chalk white porcelain from Happy Floors- NeosTile line. I will be using it in my bathroom, where the floors are 5 feet wide by 11 feet deep.

Chalk White Tile

Is the install for this really that difficult for a tile installer due to warpage and lippage? Can I do a 33% overlap and be fine? Should I be concerned, and how what color grout would you recommend?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone

Place two of the tiles face-to-face and see how bowed they are...how much they "rock." Some are pretty bad, others not so. If bad, at least a 1/3 overlap is needed...meybe even a 25% deal. Your floor needs to be quite flat for a successful install. If lippage is minimal, I've even butted them together, but an eighth looks good. If they are quite warped, you'll need a larger joint. The colour should be very close to that of the tile, IMHO.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 1:13PM
GreenDesigns

And the floor needs to be STIFF for large format tile. If the bath is on a crawlspace, you need to investigate the joist size and placing in order to calculate how stiff the current floor is and whether or not it needs beefing up before any tile is laid. There's no point in having it all crack a month from installation.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 1:05PM
ms222

Thanks, I dont know how stiff the floor is, however apparently he is "gutting" the bathroom so i would assume the tile installer can see if anything needs to be placed to make it more stiff. If I'm paying a tile guy to install it, then I would assume he should be able to do a 6"x24" tile without messing it up. That is what I'm paying for after all.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 4:52PM
live_wire_oak

Don't assume anything. There is a world of difference in a "tile guy" and a professional tile installer. If he hasn't brought up the grout size and floor stiffness issues himself, I'd bet he's more of a "tile guy" than a true pro. Be proactive and find out this information yourself. You simply cannot depend on anyone to care about your job the way that you care.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 5:11PM
ms222

That is correct, however the contractor I am using has been in the business for over 30 years and I know him personally, he wouldn't be bringing in anyone less than a true experienced tile installer.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 9:44PM
terriks

That is correct, however the contractor I am using has been in the business for over 30 years and I know him personally, he wouldn't be bringing in anyone less than a true experienced tile installer.

I'm sorry but those sound like the famous last words of many an unhappy poster on another tile site.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Tile or what for top of shower bench and knee wall?
We are remodeling our master bath and will have a shower...
risforremodel
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™