brown calcium build-up in the toilet bowl

andy2007July 2, 2006

We moved into this 2-year old home 6 weeks ago. During the

inspection we noticed this dark brown calcium build-up dirt

inside every (4 of them) toilet bowl where the water remains. We thought Clorox bleach or C-L-R would clean it. It did not.

We tried Vinegar and did not work. Does anyone know what

will remove this stain? Any branded product? Generic chemicals? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Andy2007

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zaapped

I'm not sure whats its called, but i have some here now...You can get it at "Home Depot"...Its a gray 2" rectangle type bar thats made of some hard ceramic type material and you scrub the stain away, a little bit of elbow grease and it takes it right off...It won't scratch the toilet but wears down pretty fast as you scrub...Just ask someone in Home Depot and if they don't know then explain it to them....

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 5:56AM
socks

Pumice stone?

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 11:13AM
andy2007

If I use pumice stone to clean the brown calcium build-up
inside the toilet bowl, would it not scratch the surface
of the porcelain? Has someone tried it and what is the
result? Many thanks for your valuable suggestions.
Andy2007

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 4:32PM
dainaadele

No damage. That is exactly what it is sold for, has been around forever. For trivia: My mother is from europe. They always used in for rough skin like heels and calluses. It was very hard to find in the 70's and 80's when "new and improved" was in and old was out. Now it is poping up everywhere. I get mine at WalMart.

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 7:12PM
hamptonmeadow

It does scratch the toilet. And that will just make it harder to clean the next time. It does work however.

Drain all the water from the bowl then use Kaboom or ajax with a Mr. Magic Eraser. That will scratch to some extent as well, but nothing like a pumice stone.

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 10:28PM
frank1965

I just bet some Bar Keepers friend will take it right off- might have to scrub- and it won't scratch. Get it where you get the Comet.

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 11:28PM
danajenk

Pumice stones (pieces of lava rock, sometimes called pumies) do not scratch porcelain if they are first submerged in water. Used dry, they definitely will scratch. Don't know why that is. They do degrade rather rapidly, and are normally recommended for anywhere standing water and air meet in a container, such as aquariums or toilets, the main two examples I can think of.

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 9:30AM
arizonny

I use a small piece of drywall sandpaper. Fine. It works great and no scratching.

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 10:19AM
olehippie

THE WORKS! I tried everything with the same problem THE WORKS will clean it guaranteed! If it's real bad leave/soak it in toilet over night. I've tried all THE WORKS products and they are the best! They are available at almost every store. Cheapest palce I found is Walmart.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
X smoker preparing house for Grand Baby
I need help! My son and daughter inlaw are expecting...
johndeere
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™