plastic carpet protector residue removal?

dlr98004July 15, 2010

Good intentions gone bad? We put down that plastic carpet protector stuff they use in model homes to protect our main carpet paths from grime while we were remodeling. We just pulled it up tonight and there is a sort of sticky residue where the plastic was. DOH! What should we do to clean it? Is there anything we can do? I KNOW this will be a dirt magnet - probably worse than the problem we were trying to avoid. YIKES. Any suggestions short of getting new carpeting?

Four areas affected are about 3' wide x 8' long.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Sounds bad. The plastic probably had some kind of adhesive. I know when we remodeled our contractor bought in a cloth (looked like muslin) runner to protect our carpeting. The only thing I would do is test with some kind of adhesive remover. I'd try hair spray, alcohol, maybe even try to contact the company that made that plastic runner. Good luck to you!

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 10:58AM
graywings123

I would give my old standby Spot Shot a try on your carpet. It is petroleum-based. Maybe mineral spirits?

Here is a link that might be useful: Spot Shot.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 4:39PM
jbuilder

Hi Diane, sorry to hear about your residue problem.

This will happen if the product is left down too long, is exposed to direct sunlight or if its a cheap product. We had these problems wiht some of our contracting jobs and switched to a better type that lasts 60 days and doesn't leave residue. In fact, they posted help for people using these problem products and I included thier link below. it has lots of suggestions for how to deal with it.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: plastic carpet protector residue removal

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™