Inherited Feather Pillows

dlspellmanJuly 27, 2009

I just inherited five nice feather pillows from my Grandmother's estate. They are nice and full, in clean ticking and obviously hardly used. BUT, they are quite musty smelling and have likely been stored since the 1950's or 60's based on the style of the ticking...

Any ideas on if they need professional cleaning given their age? Or is just a good airing out in the sunshine enough? Should I try a Febreeze or run them through the dryer with dryer sheets? Or what?

Any bits of advice welcome, I'd love to make them useable again - my whole family loves feather pillows.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Give them a good tumble with a clean tennis shoe in the dryer on air...
If that doesn't work, take them to the big machines at the laundry and wash them....and be sure to dry them really really well.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 11:33PM
mary.helen

Interesting. I have two big feather pillows of my mom's that are still packed away since 2004; I figured they are ruined by now. I am going to get them out and see what can be done with them. Thanks.

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 5:57PM
lindac

Our grandmothers ( or maybe your great grandmother) washed pillows in an old washer....set the ringer to "wide", squeezed out some of the water, hung the pillows on the line in the sun and beat them now and then with a rug beater. Then turned them and hung them with the bottom up and repeated....
If there were enough dry days the pillows fluffed nicely.
How lucky we are to have front load washers and large capacity driers.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 9:12PM
mrsdymacek

I think everything you mention sounds good. i would give them sunshine and a dryer sheet before I sprayed the febreeze, though.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 2:26PM
albert_135

I too was thinking sunshine. I was watching a 1951 Italian movie on DVD last night. A woman cleaning a bachelor pad scolded the men for not putting their bedding out in the sun.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™