cooked-on crust on porcelain stovetop

wordfoolJuly 14, 2008

I am hoping someone has a suggestions how to remove extremely hard, cooked-on black crusty stuff from a porcelain-coated range top (below the burner grates). Ammonia won't touch it, plastic scrapers won't touch it, and I'm loathed to spray oven cleaner everywhere for fear of dulling the surface (it probably won't work anyway based on past experience).

This black stuff is rock hard and all the cleaning solutions I've tried merely soften the surface of it. We just bought the range (a Viking) used and I imagine the gunk has been happily baking there for years. The only way I've found to get it off is very carefully using the tip of a flat-head screwdriver but, as you can imagine, this is not the speediest method.

Any other hints?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I would try a razor blade paint scraper....VERY carefully!
And I would try oven cleaner and cover it with plastic and let it sit over night....carefully protect any metal though.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 10:35AM
fandlil

I wouldn't use oven cleaner because you risk damaging the surface. I think you should put clear ammonia full strength or any grease-fighting detergent full strength on the caked on guck and cover it with Saran wrap overnight, and then carefully scrape off the stuff that softened with a one-sided razor blade of the type used to scrape paint off windows. It will be slow going, but if you're persistent you'll eventually get it clean.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 6:24PM
eteinne

Hi!

Your dealing with carbon. There is a product called Sokoff. It is sold through Home Trends. 1-800-810-2340 or www.ShopHomeTrends.com This stuff works great and I use it to clean my BBQ grill at the end of season. It takes the interior of the grill box down to the bare metal. Use a natural bristle paint brush as the plastic ones will melt. Pour it into a glass bowl as the first time I used it I put it in a Cool Whip bowl and the bottom melted out. This is nasty stuff and will burn U to the bone if U get it on your skin. Wear gloves and U will be fine. U can use this on the original Teflon Bakeware to remove all of that nasty, brown sticky stuff but not on Silverstone. It won't hurt your stove.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 8:30PM
toile

Don't waster your $ on the one by Scotch Bright. Its made for daily easy stuff.
Though my kids like this little kit and they feel they are cleaning ;)

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
tomatozilla
Sebo K3 vs Bank
Our remodel included replacing carpet and tile flooring...
Saje
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
Pine Sol Original Has Changed For The Worst
Im a 47 yo male, have been a neat clean guy all my...
northwoods
Sponsored Products
Brown Mosey Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Floral Porcelain Slim Vase Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Mistie Rug 8' x 10' - LIGHT BLUE
$2,999.00 | Horchow
Colton Pieced Hide Rug
$379.00 | FRONTGATE
Porcelina Wall Sconce Small CylinderTwo-Light Faux Porcelain Open Top and Bottom
$124.20 | Bellacor
Oil Rubbed Bronze Whitehaus WHKPFDCR3-9555 Single Hole Deck Mount Faucet
$599.00 | Blue Bath
Casdon Toy Dyson Ball Vacuum - 641
$34.98 | Hayneedle
Keyser Rocking Chair - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™