Swedish Finish floor maitenance? Help!

TessinseattleJuly 9, 2012

I'm a new home owner of a lovely house that I don't want to destroy with my ignorance of proper cleaning/maintenance techniques. I'm the product of hippy parents w/ loose, to say the least, standards for this sort of thing so I could really use some sound advise from an expert. What you're looking at here are lovely swedish (I think) finish floors. Help. Tell me how not destroy these. Some online advice says vinegar and water while others say avoid water at all costs and vinegar dulls. Help! THANK YOU, in advance. I'm hopelessly unprepared for so nice a home. I will be posting multiple threads so people can reply to each concern individually.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cassandra

I lived for 20 years in a home with Glista (sp?) finished floors: maple, birch, and oak. They were gorgeous! They had been refinished just before I moved in. I was told to use just a little water (ie. damp rag, well wrung out) and, if needed, a tiny bit of white vinegar. That's what I did every so often, and the floors were still gorgeous when I moved out.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 6:38AM
jannie

You might also try what I've used for 31 years on my oak/polyurethane floors: Bona Kemi. They make two good products I like-1. the Cleaner and 2. The Floor Finish. Apply with a damp mop. Some people here hate Bona Kemi, say it leaves a dulling film. I have not found so. I recently hosted a party in my home and prepared by doing the floors with BK. They were so shiny my SIL asked if I'd had them re-finished!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 8:44AM
margareta_mi

I have a kitchen floor with Glitsa Finish. They make a cleaner for the floor - Glitsa Clean - that can be bought as a concentrate. Put it in a spray bottle and add distilled water. I use that for cleaning. I was told to stay away from any product that was OIL BASED because that would make it impossible to do spot refinishing later.

I also see that Libman makes a spray mop that can be used with your own cleaner.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 10:18AM
scrookston

I believe that is the flooring I had in my previous home. It was Kahrs flooring and I had the American Cherry, which is what yours looks like. 1 gallon of water and 1 cup vinegar works fine.
Sandy

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™