Favorite bathroom vent fan to replace WhisperFit-Lite?

artemis78April 3, 2012

We have to replace ours, and I'm wondering what people are liking these days. When we put this one in, Panasonic was the favorite, but ours has a dead motor after only four years, so I'm really reluctant to stick with them. What else is out there? Or did we just get a lemon? (We have a Panasonic 80CFM WhisperFit-Lite; it was used for about an hour a day.) We never got adequate air flow through the old fan, but weren't able to identify the problem after investigating ductwork, etc. So I just really want a fan that works this time! Thanks for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onikoroshi

I just bought a panasonic whisperwarm, I hope it doesn't crap out on me in a few years. I've only heard good things about the panasonics until now.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 6:02PM
artemis78

I'd also only heard good things, so it's entirely possible we just got a bad fan. But for what it's worth, they do have a three-year warranty in case something comes up in the near term. (Ours is four years old...figures!)

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 8:06PM
sserra85

I cant help with any technical info for replacing.. But I just put in a 110cfm Fantech... It is amazingly powerful and quiet. I actually got compliments on my fan from house guests.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 10:47PM
Lynne Reno

we got a 110 cfm panasonic FV-11VHL2 (fan/heat/light/nightlight) and I love it, it warms up in about 30 seconds and is super quiet and efficient. We have the same fan in our guest bath without heat and it's been there about 5 years and still going strong.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 11:40PM
Edbishop868

I've been installing and recommending Panasonic for a number of years with very good results.

Once you choose the right size it is a good idea to install the next size up to make up for inadequate ducting.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to size a bath vent fan

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 12:33PM
artemis78

Thanks--your timing is impeccable since we still haven't gotten around to this and I was just working on figuring out exactly which fan to get!

We've decided to stick with Panasonic in spite of our bad experience because it is the easiest to fit into the space (same size) and everyone else seems to have good experiences with them, so hopefully ours was just a lemon. Do you have recommendations of specific Panasonics other than the Whisper Fit Lite, though?

Our current dead fan is theoretically more than powerful enough for the space (twice what we need based on the linked site) and as far as we know the ducting is good to go (was put in when the fan was four years ago) but we never got very good venting from the first fan. Possibly whatever caused it to die was also he cause of the earlier issues, though.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 1:07PM
Edbishop868

I would stick to the model you have.

Less hassle trying to fit it in.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Help and Advice

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 6:32PM
wws944

Maybe a little late for the original poster, but there is no need to trash the entire unit. Just call Panasonics service parts center, phone number available from their web site, and order a new motor.

I had to replace the motor in one of mine after about four years. The other three continue to be fine.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hunter Brookline 52 in. Antique Brass Ceiling Fan 22455
Home Depot
Halo Recessed Lighting 6 in. Aluminum Recessed Lighting New Construction
$90.46 | Home Depot
Vaxcel Asti 2-Light Vanity - 17.87W in. Satin Nickel - AA-VLD002SN
$167.50 | Hayneedle
Vaxcel Berkeley Flush mount - 15W in. Aged Walnut - BE-CCU150AW
$82.00 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Onion Lantern Collection Textured Black 4-li
Home Depot
Matte Opal Dual Mount Energy Star Bowl Light Kit
$210.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™