Toilet location

lisaj1354April 25, 2013

Due to space considerations, we needed to move the toilet next to the door. I'm not thrilled, but what can you do?

I am talking to my contractor about adding a small knee wall next to the toilet so that nobody falls into the toilet when they walk into the room, but he thinks it's not necessary.

I can't seem to find pics of a toilet next to a door to show my contractor.

I'm open to opinions, discussion, suggestions...and help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chibimimi

Is the door on the same wall as the toilet? Which way does the door swing?

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:21PM
ChristaM

Can you post a floor plan so we understand your problem?

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:08PM
lisaj1354

Here is a very simple rendering of the new bathroom layout.

It is a Jack and Jill bathroom. The toilet has been moved next to the door and we are now debating whether or not to build a knee wall next to it.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 4:37PM
abfabamy

Are the doors pocket doors? If they are regular doors I would think if you have the one by the toilet swing towards the toilet that would serve the same purpose of "blocking" the toilet as you enter the room.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 9:21AM
mongoct

Yup, I'd make the hinged swing-in entry door a LH-door and omit the pony wall. Let the door be your obstruction since that is your concern.

If you include the pony wall, you'll need lateral code-clearance for the toilet. A minimum 15" distance from the centerline of the toilet to any side obstruction (like the pony wall).

If you really want that pony wall, I'd investigate making the shower an neo-shower. You don't provide room dimensions so this is just a guess based off of your drawing. The clipped corner of the neo might eliminate the choke point between the pony wall and the corner of the shower. If you're building the shower that'll not be a problem, but if you're inserting a pre-fab stall, the dimensions may not work. Just an idea.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 10:27AM
lisaj1354

Thanks for your comments!

The room is 9x9 except for the spot where the vanity is. That space adds an extra 2ft to the length of the room. The space used to be a closet that faced the hallway and backed up to the bathroom. I stole it for the bathroom, and I now have a tiny 2ft closet in my hallway, but managed to keep the large bathroom linen closet.

The idea of changing the direction of the door is genius. I can't believe none of us thought about that!

The shower is being built - actually it IS built. Its 4 ft long and just over 3ft wide. Sadly, anything larger would have been too overwhelming for the room.

The toilet is up to code as far as spacing is concerned (my contractor made sure of that), and there is sufficient space there for a pony wall.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 10:03PM
lisaj1354

sorry - double post

This post was edited by lisaj1354 on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 23:16

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
suggestions for double vanity between 2 walls
I'm looking for suggestions for a (or pictures of your)...
A McK
Suggestions - Eliminating Jack and Jill Bath in New Construction
Looking for suggestions on eliminating a Jack and Jill...
burbmomoftwo
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™