New member, new project

bob4321March 23, 2012

Want to introduce myself as I've been lurking in the background for a while. We are in the initial stages of planning a new home which includes tearing down an existing house and building a fairly large (approx 4500 sqft) new home. We close on the property in a few weeks, already have hired an architect to start design drawings, and are a little scared of what we are taking on. Since finding this forum and realizing the depth of knowledge it represents, I've been waiting for the right time to start what I am sure will be an endless stream of questions over the next year (hopefully only a year).

My first question has to do with the option of hiring an owner's rep. I have an acquaintance who is an owner's rep and he is trying to talk me into hiring him for the project. Would appreciate some opinions on the subject. I am pretty busy with my career and was thinking this would alleviate some of the pressure of project.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abdrury

I faced the same dilemma and decided not to hire one. I thought it would maybe save a little money and build a good rapport with the builder showing that we could work one on one.

We're 13 weeks in and I haven't wished we had an agent. I don't feel like they're taking advantage of us but this is also our first build. If you truly felt it wouldn't cost you a more expensive contract price, and your time is extremely limited then an agent may be worth it.

Hope that helps and good luck!

PS - I should add that we have a large, reputable (but locally owned) builder, so I went in with some confidence that they have a reputation on the line.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 9:01PM
abdrury

PPS - I asked a family friend who has built four houses if they had hired an agent. Their response was "for what?" They didn't even understand what value an agent would bring to the process. For what it's worth...

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 9:06PM
bob4321

adbrury,

Thanks for the advice. I have not hit the stage of hiring a builder, but hopefully will find a highly recommended builder I can trust. Was thinking of starting the process and if the going got rough or beyond my experience, I could always add in the rep at a later date.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
is/has anyone built a frank betz home?
Just wondering... Which model? We are currently considering...
liptonjl
Bank help: What is a 442 Appraisal?
We thought we'd found a great construction loan program...
redheadeddaughter
Floor Plan Review
Can anyone give some feedback on our floor plan? I...
kymberie
Interior Doors - any experience with this company?
Does anyone have any experience with solidhardwooddoors.com...
numbersjunkie
Window Trim
I found the attached picture, and like the window trim...
burbmomoftwo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™