Please Help Me Simplify

pcanyonJuly 10, 2008

I think my wife is obsessed with buying whatever new cleaning product arrives on the market. We literally have 70+ bottles, sprays, jars, cans, etc of cleaning stuff. It drives me nuts. And it's always the latest and greatest packaging.

I want to throw it all out and just have a few things for the cleaning ladies. And I would like to buy it on my regular trips to Costco. We have stainless steel sinks, granite counter tops, glass shower, ceramic tile floors and some wood floors. Very little carpet.

Is there a 3-4 item solution to cleaning the whole house and always buy it at Costco?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsy72001

Vinegar and baking soda. the best there ever was and is.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 9:04PM
michelle_phxaz

Ask your cleaning crew what they use and what they don't, since they will be the ones using them. Donate what you don't want to the ASPCA or a homeless shelter. They are always glad to get cleaning products.

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 2:47AM
graywings123

We literally have 70+ bottles, sprays, jars, cans, etc of cleaning stuff. . . I want to throw it all out and just have a few things for the cleaning ladies.

Why not make a concerted effort to use up the stuff you have now before buying even more? Although, I suspect that a lot of what you have are not really cleaning products per se. At our house, we seem to collect "clean and protect" products or "deep cleaning" products like Lime-Away, which are not the types of things you use weekly. May I suggest that you offer them to the cleaning ladies first and then post an ad in your local craigslist to see if anyone wants to take them off your hands.

But, to answer your question, here is what I use:

stainless steel sinks: Bar Keeper's Friend (or Soft Scrub);
granite counter tops: wipe with wet cloth;
glass shower: Comet Spray Bathroom Cleaner;
Ceramic tile floors: steam cleaning machine;
Wood floors: vacuum cleaner; occasionally a barely wet cloth.

You didn't ask, but:
Toilets: any toilet bowl cleaner and the disposable quick cleaning cloths;
Windows: a home-made concoction of water, vinegar, ammonia and cornstarch; and the bottled blue stuff for quick clean-ups
Bathroom sinks: Soft Scrub.

And also: microfiber cloths, purchased in a package of 25 in the Automobile section of Costco? Walmart?

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Toilet hard water stains
We have a 1/2 bath that rarely is used, so there's...
nelles_gw
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™