Front door color?

graceshanMarch 14, 2012

Well I'm just torn about what color to paint the front door. Our house style is "coastal craftsman" with boothbay blue siding and white trim. The front door is 8' tall with 2 skinny sidelights. Wasn't too excited about it but it made sense to match the window height and spacing requirements. I was originally thinking of painting the sidelights white and the door a pretty color. Any ideas?? I could use some input! Here are some pics:

It was pretty gray and raining when I took the pic but here's the same color scheme on someone else's house:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DelawareMama

First of all, your home is gorgeous and it had already reminded me of the home you posted at the bottom. Is that close to you? I found the remodelers blog a long time back and then saw it featured in BHG. I love the green they used on their door and I think the right green would look beautiful with your siding and white trim!

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 10:58PM
graceshan

I'm not sure where the cottage is but we are up in Edmonds (coastal town just north of Seattle). I love that cottage too and it helped me solidify our house color choice months ago. I was googling the color when I came across the blog. And then I saw it in BHG too. I was sitting on my couch reading it and couldn't believe it. Yes, I too love the green door and that's really my first choice. But I didn't want to miss out on other colors that might look good too. I thought I might be loving it so much because the little blue cottage has it, but I guess that's fine too :)

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 11:43PM
andi_k

I just have to say that I was hoping to get more shots of Harry..ha! He's such a cutie patootie!

Have you thought about just staining the door? Maybe someting similar to this....

Here is a link that might be useful: House on houzz....

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 8:18AM
nini804

I was going to suggest stain as well! Stained doors are very popular in our neck of the woods...ours is mahogany, with a dark stain. There are quite a few Nantucket style homes in my neighborhood, some with painted shingles like yours, and they all have stained doors. Your house is lovely!

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 12:18PM
ILoveRed

Very nice. Stained as well.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 12:32PM
zagyzebra

If you don't stain the door, and decide to go with painting it, I'd choose red for a pop of color. In the top picture posted, the side panels almost appear red (probably just temp covering), but see how nice that red looks.

I'm in L.A. and a lot of people in the trendier neighborhoods paint their doors red.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 12:55PM
laurajane02

Beautiful house! I vote for stained.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 12:57PM
graceshan

Thanks everyone! You know... stained never crossed my mind. I think it's because my husband really wants a colored door! Pics of Harry you say -- here you go!! Don't have to ask me twice :)

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 2:24PM
athensmomof3

He is a doll! I have seen red doors, chartreuse green doors and yellow doors on gray houses and they all look great. It depends on the look you are going for and how daring you are :) Not everyone is brave enough for a chartreuse door!

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 2:53PM
andi_k

oh, he is so yummy!! :)

I like the idea of a red door too, but it's gotta be the right red. And, I do like the one on the pic you have above also

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 4:07PM
ILoveRed

He is beautiful. That 2nd picture made my heart go pitter patter. My first grandchild coming in oct.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Finally under way but concerned...
So our home is finally being started and moving along,...
njbuilding143
window cuts in concrete foundation pour question
Hello, I had a quick question regarding a 9' poured...
jim8153
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
Exterior entry stair or enclosed interior entry stair
Your valuable advice will be appreciated. We are every...
siena_s_dad
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Toilets Wellworth 2-Piece 1.28 GPF Round Toilet in Ice Grey K-3947-95
Home Depot
Chintaly Teresa Transitional Rectangular High Back Dining Side Chairs - Set of 2
$317.24 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Artistic Weavers Rugs Firm 4 ft. x 10 ft. Rug Pad
$57.97 | Home Depot
24'' Mix Field Poppy Wreath
$34.99 | zulily
Love & Romance Personalized Calendar
$24.99 | zulily
Moooi | Blow Away Vase
YLighting
WAC Radiant Bronze PAR38 Track Head for Juno Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
Quad Block Chest - 2339