Shower options other than a tiled shower

sis2twoApril 30, 2013

We have been in our home for 13 yrs. and are looking at redoing our white tiled shower. The reason being that evidently our shower pan was not put in correctly underneath the floor tile which keeps mildew in the caulk area between the floor and wall tile. I love my subway tile but it's a fairly good size and between the mildew and several small areas of grout starting to come out, I am wanting to consider something else. It is a country style bathroom with claw foot tub and beadboard. Can anyone suggest an alternative that would be very nice, durable, and would fit the style of my bathroom. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

I am putting in a Kohler cast iron shower pan tray then tiling the walls and using Laticrete epoxy grout. Wish me luck on the grout :) I didn't want to fuss with trying to tile a floor. I am happy with my decision. Cat-mom has a kohler pan in place and it looks nice. They come in 3x4 and 3x5 sizes. So the larger fits a standard alcove tub site. I will be using the smaller because of size constraints. Cat-moms shower is shown about 1/2 down this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: ...Kohler cast iron pans

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 11:40AM
sis2two

Thank you enduring. I am going to look into those. Do you actually tile over the curb part or just the walls?

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 7:43PM
enduring

The curb is cast iron, but in the 3x4' size the apron may not go down to the floor. Cat_mom has a picture of her Kohler pan and she needed to tile on the outside vertical plane with a cut tile all the way across. The 3x5' pan that I saw at Ferguson's has the curb that goes to the ground on the outside, rather like a regular tub with apron does.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 9:34PM
busybee3

my kohler cast iron shower pan is fantastic! no tiling over curb on mine.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 12:46PM
enduring

Busybee3, do you have the 5' long Salient or the 4' Kathryn or Purest? If you have the Salient do you have the center drain or the drain at the end? I am thinking of changing my plan to work with a 5' long pan instead of the 4' since I just made the room:)

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Sponsored Products
Chrome Traditional Exposed Sequential Thermostatic Shower Faucet Valve
Hudson Reed
Modern Led Bathroom 5 Lights Vanity Light Wall Sconces
ParrotUncle
Aqua Pouch Speaker in Blue
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Triple Handle Chrome Tub and Shower Faucet
Overstock.com
Oval Gray Basalt 19"x15" Stone Vessel Sink - COCOON
Living'ROC