vinyl floors and steam

wearybuilderJuly 16, 2008

We have vinyl flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms and laundry room. I was ready to "go for it" and get one of the steam mops, until I read that the steam can mess up vinyl floors. I contacted the store, and they said warm water only.

How do I decide? Trust the steamers that say they are safe for vinyl or trust the store and stay away to avoid problems down the road?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

It seems to me that it is a matter of how hot the steam actually is when it is reaching the vinyl flooring and how much steam is being applied to seams.

The higher end steamers heat the water to around 300 degrees F, and the steam coming out is around 250 degrees. It goes through a pad before reaching the floor, and that further reduces the temperature.

The makers of the (less expensive) steam mops don't give any information about the water temperatures in their products, but the assumption is that the temperature is lower.

I imagine that you could destroy vinyl flooring with too much heat or too much steam. But there is lots of anecdotal information on the internet that steam mops, when used as intended, don't harm vinyl floors.

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
tomatozilla
Carpet Cleaning: Can it Ruin the Carpet?
I've never had a professional carpet cleaning, but...
Cassandra
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™