Gap between dishwasher and cabinet?

SnbtwinsApril 4, 2009

I just had my new Bosch stainless dishwasher installed and it must be smaller than my prior dishwasher because there are gaps on either side where it meets the cabinets. Is there something I can buy to fill in the gaps?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Snbtwins

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 3:13PM
Snbtwins

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 3:15PM
eandhl

In our last house there was a gap though not quite as large as you are showing. We had a beaded piece added to each side of the cabinet. That made it very tight.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 6:32PM
antss

The dishwasher is supposed to be installed in a 24" wide opening, same as others. Don't know how your other one was installed but you have face frame cabinets and the install looks to be correct.

Part of the problem is that you have partial overlay doors, Euro DW's just tend not to look there best with that type of cabinetry anyway.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 6:55PM
dab07

Our Miele calls for a 23 5/8" opening. This might be smaller than a standard American opening. Sorry, I don't have an answer for you though.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 11:39PM
antss

Miele has a metric cabinet - 60 cm, the y sell strips to take up the xtra space if you're retrofiting in 24"

Same as the Bosch, they don't look theri best with framed partial overlay cabinetry.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 9:34AM
Snbtwins

Thank you for the responses. I guess I just have to live with the gap. My previous dishwasher was black and I guess I just didn't notice the gap, it probably just blended in.

I am very happy with the dishwasher so far.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 8:21PM
eandhl

snbtwins, since your raised panel cabs have a beaded look in them a piece of beaded trim on each side of the opening would look very good. Also with a tight fit the DW is quieter. If you could get one from the cab co. I am sure a carpenter could make one up quickly and you could find a good match on the stain.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 10:27AM
weedmeister

Depending on who did your cabinets, you might be able to put a filler piece in there, perhaps with some glue (to the cabinet side).

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 5:07PM
Snbtwins

The cabinets were here when we moved in, I don't know who the manufacturer is, unfortunately.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 8:45PM
overlyoptimistic

From the photo, it looks like red oak cabinets. It should be quite easy to pull out the DW, install 2 filler strips (stained and finished to match). The filler strips could be either glued screwed into the cabinets or nailed-- both screws and nails would be hidden by the dishwasher.

Best.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 11:50PM
ci_lantro

Snbtwins--I'm not seeing any vapor barrier to protect the underside of your countertop. You'll need something there to protect the particle board.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 9:16PM
Snbtwins

I will go to Home Depot and look for filler strips.

What do you suggest for a vapor barrier?? I think it has been like this for at least 10 years.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 10:46AM
antss

The vapor barrier while a good idea isn't strictly necessary with integrated Euro models. As long as you wait for the unit to cool down after running before opening the door your tops should be fine.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
gas oven ignitor help
I recently picked up a great amana self clean gas oven,...
billhiggs
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
Oven size vs cabinet size
In my search for a new oven I noticed that all have...
dickross
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™