Swapping appliances in existing cabinetry?

janjan212April 23, 2012

Pardon my ignorance, hopefully I am not missing how simple the answer is, but I have never done this and want to make sure I am considering all costs and the right direction to head.

I currently have a microwave/wall oven unit. Although it still works, we are doing a little updating and I think I'd like to splurge and get the Speed/Wall oven combo. (I've always wanted double ovens and micro, but don't have room for all 3 this is a good solution) So my question is....How do I know what may need to be done to the existing cut out in our cabinetry? Can I measure the outside of the current opening and compare to the specs on the other appliances? If there needs to be modifications, do I call a cabinet company, or do the appliance installers deal with this? Do the old appliances have to come out to see how it's set up before we know what needs to be done and the cost involved?

Again....sorry for my ignorance.... and TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

yes, pretty much. Measure the width and height of the opening, but bear in mind that the current unit most likely overlaps the edges by a quarter inch or so.

Then look at the size specs of the new unit(s) you are looking at. Widths are somewhat standard so height may be an issue. Look at the installation specs.

If the new one is shorter, then all that is needed is to put something in the bottom to raise the new unit up. A handy man can do this. But if it is taller, you may need a new cabinet depending on your situation.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 3:02PM
txjoyce

We just replaced a microwave/single oven unit with a double oven. We talked with our general contractor before ordering to make certain we could do it. We pulled the specifications for the new unit and we all measured several times. He was able to fit the double oven into the space by opening the existing space. We were fortunate that we didn't have to lose any space from the cabinet above the unit, or the drawer below.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 3:50PM
cooks1818

I agree with txjoyce-meet with your contractor first before ordering any applicance-"measure twice & cut once!"
I am in the exact situation-be sure your contractor can install considering existing cut-out & electric & weight of product to be installed.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Can't adjust door spring on Miele Futura Dimension DW (G 5675
We just installed my new Miele dishwasher and the door...
jan_in_davis
Bluestar electric French door installed
It's installed. Electrical not hooked up yet (see the...
Debbi Branka
Finish Detergent
Has anyone tried the new Finish Quantum Max 12X pacs?...
sparky823
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Hood Decision - Zephyr vs Kobe
I need to make a decision on a hood to put over a 36"...
michfbgal
Sponsored Products
Hawthorne Queen Bed with 4-drawers
Overstock.com
Design Element Stanton 32" modern vanity w/ drop in sink - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Metal Four-Drawer Cabinet
$239.99 | zulily
Half a Dozen Cabinet
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
Wall Cabinets: Wyndham Collection Kitchen Cabinets Sarah 16 in. W x 9 in. D x
Home Depot
Juno Under Cabinet Lighting 22 in. Fluorescent Silver Under Cabinet Economy
$39.98 | Home Depot
Windham Floor Cabinet with Door and Drawer
Overstock.com
Afina Broadway Surface Mount Double Door Medicine Cabinet - 30W x 4D x 30H in. M
$515.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™