Coffee stains in porcelain sink

marie26July 24, 2006

I am doing this to myself, pouring excess brewed coffee into my porcelain sink a couple of times a day. So, I'm causing the stains. But it's such a pain to have to scrub the sink clean each time I do it.

How do you handle this? Do you scrub after each time of pouring the coffee into the sink? Is there anything I can put in my sink to protect it? I have the plastic mats but they have holes in them so that didn't help me when I tried using them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva

DH did that while learning how much water to put in the new maker. I finally asked him to pour the cool coffee over the hosta -they love it. Meanwhile, try using lemon juice/water (50/50); a couple sprays and swop with a sponge, a splish of water to rinse, or just keep a sponge in a small bowl of the mixture to swop and then rinse. I never found anything that would actually protect the sink's finish from repeated coffee or tea stains, so the alternative is to have the clean-up as fast and easy as possible, and clean immediately after pouring.

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 2:27PM
lindac

Pour the coffee directly into the drain....
I remember now why I have a stainless steel sink!
Linda C

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 5:03PM
quiltglo

I'm with Linda. Aim that puppy right over the hole. I did this to myself in the last house and the only time my sink looked nice was right after I cleaned it with Soft Scrub. I also switched to a SS sink in this house. You can also keep just a little bit of bleach in a spray bottle of water and mist the sink at the end of the day. I've found a Mr. Clean Magic sponge cleans my sink really nice. They are too pricey for me to use all of the time, though.

Gloria

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 8:24PM
ir_boston

Bar Keeper's Friend will get coffee and other food stains off a porcelain sink.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 8:50PM
tnlady

For all-over perfect cleaning of any sink: Plug sink after water is running as hot as possible. Add One Cup of cascade or similiar product - swish to dissolve - fill sink to brim. Leave overnight. 99% of stains will be gone in the morning. Touch up a bit with scrub sponge if needed - it will come off ASAP.

We drink a whole pot of TEA in the morning which stains worse then coffee!!! For touch-ups in-between --- pour a little bleach - run from the fumes - and then come back and just rinse.

TNLady

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 11:43AM
centralcacyclist

I keep my sink stain free with a spritz of Clorox Clean-Up in the sink. Saves wear and tear on the finish from abrasives. Also keeps bacteria down.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Need Suggestions: How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
Not sure where to post this. Needs suggestions. Got...
peabody1
How Do You Clean Whirlpool Jets??
We're building a new house and have ordered a whirlpool...
MrsBigE
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
Sponsored Products
42" Matthews Irene 5-Blade Walnut-Nickel Hugger Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
42" Library Rubbed Bronze and Stained Glass Ceiling Fan
Euro Style Lighting
Moroni - Grandeur Classic Leather Loveseat in Coach Classic Brown...
Great Furniture Deal
5' Brown Umbrella Frame
Cost Plus World Market
Global Explorations Coconut Bark One Light Table Lamp
$396.72 | Bellacor
Column Wood Dining Table in Black
$1,069.00 | LexMod
Del Mar Left-facing Curved Outdoor Sofa, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
American Drew Camden Dark Rectangular Coffee Table - 919-910
$525.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: