sticky stuff on painted wood kitchen table

mandogirlJuly 1, 2008

Hi, everyone. My first post on the cleaning board!

We just moved into our new house. We let the sellers leave their kitchen table, knowing that it's nothing great but figuring it would serve until we can buy a new dining set and move the current dining room table to the kitchen.

The table they left is hefty wood, painted green (not shiny). The sellers' kids did craft projects on it. I don't mind the paint splatters here and there, but what I do mind is this very sticky stuff that covers most of the table. There is some glitter mixed in with it, so it's probably some kind of heavy duty craft glue. I've scrubbed with soap & water, abrasive scrubbie pads; I have yet to try 409 or something stronger because I don't want to remove too much of the painted finish. Any ideas? As I said, the table's nothing great, so I don't mind if some green paint comes off (just not all of it...looks like there's multiple layers).

I don't want to go to the trouble to strip and sand and repaint the thing. I just want it not to be sticky so my plastic placemats don't stick to it.

I'd appreciate any ideas for what product(s) to use.

thanks!

- mando

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

Have you tried Goo Gone or some WD-40? They will remove sticker goo but not the paint. 409 removes paint in my experience. Furniture polish like Liquid Gold, etc will sometimes work, too.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 1:10PM
sheilajoyce_gw

You might try rubbing it down with mineral spirits or lighter fluid, which I find removes lots of stuff from surfaces. I wonder if Greased Lightening would do it too.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 1:12PM
mandogirl

Thanks! I'll try WD-40 or lighter fluid as I know we have both on hand. If those don't work I'll see about buying some Goo Gone or Greased Lightning.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 2:15PM
graywings123

I would wipe it down with mineral spirits.

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 7:32AM
grittymitts

I use De-Solve It- think I paid $3.49 for a 12 ounce bottle...a lot less than Goo Gone. It lasts a long, long time even tho' I use it quite a bit. Don't cha' just hate the icky sticky residue left when you remove a label?

Suzi

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 8:30AM
jannie

I'd spray with Greased Lightning, then rub with steel wool (or brillo).

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™