Cleaning A Tile Floor Advice Needed

alameda/zone 8July 13, 2014

I have a fairly new tile floor. I mopped with using Lysol 3 in 1 cleaner in water a few weeks ago, thinking it would really clean the floor well. It made a greasy, slippery coating that I cannot remove - have tried vinegar and water, which I normally use [and which was recommended for the tile when it was installed]. I am afraid to put anything else on it for fear I will make it worse than it is. Not sure how to clean it at this point - any suggestions? Thanks!!
Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

A 50/50 mixture of alcohol and water works great on my porcelain tile.

Wet and squeeze excess water out of the mop then spray the alcohol mix on floor as you mop. Floors dry quicker too. No residue left on floor.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:35PM
graywings123

What kind of tile is it? Ceramic tile? Vinyl tile? Laminate tile?

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:15PM
alameda/zone 8

It is a good quality ceramic tile. The alcohol/water sounds like a good suggestion. Would be welcome to any other ideas. Tile is slippery when wet anyway - a friend commented on how slick it was the other day - something in the Lysol has remained on the surface. Thanks for any ideas - and do plan to try the alcohol!
Judith

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:47PM
graywings123

My favorite thing to clean ceramic tile with is a steam cleaner. It picks up the dirt, leaves no residue, and dries immediately.

If it is just one room of tile, a steam mop might be fine. If you have a lot of area to clean, a canister model will give you a larger tank. There are lots of threads on this forum about steam cleaning.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 2:20PM
corky1_2008

I also recommend a steam cleaner. I purchased a canister type for my basket weave marble bathroom floor. The grout became dirty and after many different attempts, the steamer is the only thing that works.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 8:16PM
alameda/zone 8

I tried the alcohol/water in spots and it seemed to do a good job. A Shark steamer was recommended to me - and I think this is something I want to get. I have a lot of tile - living room, dining room, hall and kitchen, so a steam cleaner sounds like it would be great - thanks! Anyone have any recommendations about what brand and what kind?
Judith

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™