I can't find source of fish-like odor in house.

ohguyJuly 11, 2010

There is a fish-like smell that comes and goes periodically in the house. Sometimes we can smell it in the hall by the linen closet. Now we can smell it in the kitchen. I never cook fish inside, only outside on the grill, and it's been a couple months since I did that. We don't eat fish very often. It comes and goes any time of the year so I don't think it's weather related. I've cleaned every nook-n-cranny. I need ideas on what to do to find the cause.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rozilla

Check your curtain rods. I hear ex-wives tend to leave dead fish in there.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 11:43PM
graywings123

rozilla - LOL!!! That was my first thought when I read this post. For those of you who haven't heard this story, see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fish smell in house

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 10:27AM
ebear1271

LOL That's the first thing I thought of too! We had the same problem only it was localized in one area of the kitchen and only when I vacuumed. My husband and I are allergic to fish so it couldn't be cooking odor. I thouhgt that maybe the cat had thrown up in that area and it had somehow gotten under the flooring (we had a laminate floor). We recently had to replace our kitchen floor and since the flooring was up we replaced the sub-floor where the odor was coming from. I started vacuuming the new sub-floor to get up any loose particles before the floor was put down and it started to smell! It wasn't the vacuum because I have different ones I use in the kitchen and they both caused the smell. We put the new floor down and I almost cried when the smell continued. Then one day it was gone. I don't know where it came from or where it went but I'm just grateful it's gone. I wish I could offer some advice but at least you know you're not alone. I hope yours disappears like mine did!

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 5:15PM
Gina_W

Do you have a crawl space under the house?

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 6:07PM
janek_2009

This sounds strange, but an electrical problem can be the source of a fish-like odor. Google "fish smell" and electric and you'll see quite a few hits.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 6:22PM
caminnc

Some wood smells really bad, maybe they used it as a subflooring. Sorry you are having this problem.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™