Rixi Mandorla Tile

sratseyApril 25, 2012

New here and hoping you can all help me. I know this is the Bathroom forum, but figured since this is tile related, someone might have suggestions.

Did a search, but came up short. I'm planning on using Rixi Mandorla to do a subway tile backsplash in my kitchen. I know a few people have used this tile in the past. The manufacturer suggests sealing the tile prior to grouting. Can someone recommend a good tile sealer and then a grout sealer for this purpose? Has anyone ever used this tile and NOT sealed prior to grouting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boysrus2

I used the Rixi Mandorla as my kitchen backsplash about 3 or 4 years ago. I ordered mine on-line from Best Tile with no instructions about sealing the tile prior to install.

One thing I will mention. I received sample tiles of the Mandorla and Crema colors. The Mandlora sample had a lot of very pronounced crackling. Almost a crystal crackled look which I loved. However, my actual order was much more subtle and I was a bit disappointed. If I had to do it over, I'd call and tell them I wanted boxes with the MOST crackled appearance that they had.

My tile installer used unsanded grout, and did NOT seal prior to grouting or afterwards.

Here's what mine looks like.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 11:52AM
dvarnell

I was looking at another crackle tile (by Decocer) and I specifically noticed that their instructions specified sealing and also mentioned the sealer to use. Look at Decocer Urban crackle tile and you should find the sealant they suggest. Love that backsplash! I'm looking at that tile or the Decocer for my shower - just waiting to get my samples. I agree that I love the crackling.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 2:47PM
taramccarthy

I love the kitchen. I have the same rixi tile and was wondering what color grout you used (and brand)? Thanks so much!

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Want to share a recent experience
I've never posted on this forum before, but I've been...
laceyvail
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™