What Brick Is This?

gaonmymindMarch 14, 2012

Just found out that I can't use white paint in my neighborhood so I have decided to do all brick. I love the brick on this Spiztmiller Norris house, but have no idea what it is. I also like the brick below..although I am not sure if it is just the weeping mortar and protruding brick technique that has me on that one.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lachief01

My guess would be Boral 17th century brick Regency

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.boralna.com/bricks/images/17th-century-colors-4-col.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.boralna.com/bricks/bricks-17th-century-colors.asp&usg=__6sLTZ7fM8S77L9ysiaIuvwEqM24=&h=2080&w=2512&sz=1578&hl=en&start=14&zoom=1&tbnid=c97KeCgS7LZ8AM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=150&ei=iCJhT-6cJ8ShtwfM1YipBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dboral%2B17th%2Bcentury%2Bbrick%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26rlz%3D1R2ADSA_enUS441%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 7:00PM
athensmomof3

You may want to email or call them and see if they know or will tell you. That house was recently photographed for something (was it Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles?) and the source section may tell you.

I had a question about a brick used on a house on West Paces Ferry by Bill Harrison and I emailed them and they emailed me within a day or two with the brick brand, name and supplier. It ended up being what we are using for our back patio . ..

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 8:23PM
mydreamhome

The top 2 pics look like General Shale's Charlestowne Landing. The 2nd two look like General Shale's Castlerock. In fact, the house on the General Shale Gallery page for the Castlerock brick is that house (only in all brick vs. brick & stone). The second 2 pics also have a different mortar style--it looks alot like a "squeezed" or "weeping" mortar joint.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: General Shale Gallery Page-Both Bricks Shown

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 12:09AM
gaonmymind

Awesome suggestions everyone! I will look into each further...thanks for the help :)

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 7:45AM
mydreamhome

Also, on the 1st 2 pics, it looks like Federal White mortar with regular sand was used. Trust me when I say the mortar color & the sand color can entirely change how a brick color looks.--Who knew?!?

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 9:06AM
athensmomof3

I am pretty sure based on the shaping of the first bricks, the architect involved and the cost of the house that they are a wood molded brick like Old Virginia, Old Carolina, or Boral 17th Century. They are expensive bricks! You can get a similar look by going with a machine tumbled brick for less.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Modifying Master Bedroom Entry
This plan includes a nice hallway that runs across...
burbmomoftwo
acrylic type closet door suggestions needed
The master bedroom suite I'm building needs 'airy-looking'...
Bettina Hooper
Custom floorplan looking for some feedback/suggestions...
Basement: I've been leaning toward making the theater...
goeersn99
Should I add a window in the dining room?
We are going to have a long narrow dining room, husband...
Bridget Howe
Purchasing Items during build?
For those who have gone through the building process...
njbuilding143
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™