Cleaning marble AND polished nickel

sherrizJuly 25, 2010

I will have polished nickel fixtures with marble tile and slab in my bathroom. Any suggestions on what to use so that I don't hurt either? Is METHOD cleaners ok?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kgreenclean

There are a lot of commercial metal cleaner that can help you clean your nickel pieces or to polish it without doing any damages. You can also remove the grime and grease from nickel by using household ammonia mixed with water. A good mixture would be 25-percent ammonia and 75-percent water. Soak for 30 minutes and check if the grime is coming off. If not, add more ammonia and re-soak. You may need to brush gently with a soft cleansing brush. Rinse the nickel part and dry completely. Buff with a soft cloth to polish.

Here is a link that might be useful: eco friendly cleaning

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 1:53AM
lizbeth-gardener

PLEASE don't use ammonia without researching it first.

I have both polished nickel hardware in bath and white carrera marble on floor and vanity.
Cleaners for marble are supposed to be ph neutral--can find on the web. I just use Dawn original and warm water--not sure if it is ph neutral. Be very careful what you set on marble. We had to have marble man out to repolish vanity top two days after moving in. We had a container of soft soap sitting on counter and it etched marble. Castile bar soap is safe--am sure there are others. Don't know about Method.

On the polished nickel, I purchased (online) Flitz faucet wax (it's a green product). It cleans, polishes and protects. I only need to do this about every 6 months. In between, I just use a soft wet cloth and then dry with soft cloth.
I am also really careful when I clean my porcelain sinks not to use anything abrasive because of it washing over my PN drain. HTH

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 11:08AM
livebetter

I have a polished nickel kitchen faucet. It started to get marks that would not come off. When I asked the store where I purchased it they told me nickel is like silver - it is a "living" metal. It basically tarnishes like silver.

They told me silver cleaner was not strong enough for nickel and I needed a metal cleaner. I purchased one at the local hardware store.

My nickel looks amazing. I only have to deep clean it a few times a year.

I found this green cleaner which does a very good job but not quite as good as the metal cleaner. Not sure where you can get it where you are. I actually polish my silver with this and many other jobs  itÂs a great cleaner.

Use something mild on your marble. Many things will "etch" the finish of marble (vinegar for example). My husband did it to my new master bathroom counter right after we got it. Marks are still there today  sigh Â

Here is a link that might be useful: green cleaner

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 6:44PM
jane__ny

I use soap and water or stainless metal cleaner. I love Swiffer, a spray sold in the supermarkets. I think its made by the same company as Pledge. It has no wax but it shines everything.

We sold our house earlier in the year and had showings every weekend. We'd run through the house with Swiffer (you spray it on a rag) and we'd wipe everything - granite, marble, faucets, stainless ovens, fridge, doorknobs, sinks, tile, wood...everything! Whatever is in it shines everything. I love this stuff.

Jane

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 8:27PM
westvillager

I use a window spray to clean/shine polished fixtures. I'm with Lizbeth, non-ammonia based. There are many kinds and I'm sure even Windex offers different types at this point.

I'm one of those folks like janeny who spray the cloth rather than the surface, which gives control over where the cleaning product goes.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
tomatozilla
How Do You Clean Whirlpool Jets??
We're building a new house and have ordered a whirlpool...
MrsBigE
Sponsored Products
Hinder Ava 6-Light Nickel Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Quoizel Uptown Fulton 3-Light 20"W Silver Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Outdoor Parkdale Rug in Sunbrella Topside Green with Off-White Border - 5' x 8'
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Thermostatic Shower System - Triple Valve, Head, Handset Kit & Jets
Hudson Reed
Rondo Polished Nickel Eight-Light Chandelier
$778.00 | Bellacor
Serena & Lily Chunky Linen Window Panel
Serena & Lily
Raleigh Rays Leatherette Headboard - IDF-7007PK-HB-T
$201.92 | Hayneedle
Scheherazade Silver Leaf Two-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Wall Sconce, 14.5W
Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™