Covered Patio Lighting

cbarkstonMarch 23, 2012

We're just about at the end of our budget but managed to include a 16' x 12' covered patio. Don't have much to spend on lighting, but wonder what you all think is practical and necessary. We ended up going with a couple of spot lights to aim at the grill, in place of the "back porch" light. Builder had suggested can lights instead of the porch light but said he had them in his own home but never used them much---too much light. Or should we wire for a chandelier, too, or just get a fun "candleleir" to suspend from the ceiling? Ideas and thoughts? What's the minimum we would need for outdoor lighting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mydreamhome

We put up pretty outdoor ceiling fans with lights. The fan helps keep the bugs away and feels really good when it's hot out. You do need to make sure you get one that is 'Damp Rated' or rated for outdoor use to ensure that the fan blades don't absorb moisture & droop. We also put the light part on a dimmer so we can have bright light or soft light. We liked that the light part was kind of 'fancy' too. Here's a pic of the one we went with...

Ellington Knightsbridge 52" Ceiling Fan in Aged Bronze

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellington Fans

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 7:08PM
Jack Kennedy

We have three decorative flush mounts from lowes, with two ceiling fans in between them. When we first moved the the previous owners had the white plastic sockets with lamp shades upside down on them. That looked ok for a while, and was a cheap but nice looking solution. We also have to lights that flank the side of the doors as well as a chandelier over the table. We spend a lot of time on our screened porch and outside, so we also have 3 sets of flood lights that light the rear perimeter of the house at night. ALL OF THIS lighting is on separate dimmer switches. The dimmers are the key to actually being able to use the lights and enjoy them.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 10:21AM
cbarkston

Ceiling fans! We love this idea---and love the Ellington fan you've used, mydreamhome. It is GORGEOUS!! The decision is not a difficult one now, so thank you both! We'll be putting in an outdoor lighted ceiling fan (we will also be doing some floodlights for security as well as a "back porch" light at the door...). Great suggestions...

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Banquette seating by Ballard /Coventry line
Has anyone purchased banquette seating through this...
mrspete
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
Shook Hill Plan Modifications -- input please!
Hi -- We are just sitting down to the drawing board...
Emptynesteralmost
What are you doing for your security system?
I know that's an extra cost, but I was curious as to...
aimless07
getting close to our move in day
Moving in about two weeks, got a lot of things to do...
joerallen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™