Urine Stains in Grout

jeff8795June 14, 2007

I was stupid and put white tile with white grout in my bathrooms. Well, to make a long story short, my 5 year old son has extremely poor aim and so now there are dark stains in the grout around the toilet. I have tried everything to get rid of the stains, including pouring straight bleach on the floor and letting it set for hours, but nothing gets rid of all the staining. Is there any way to get rid of the stains?!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitchendetective

Have you tried Finazzle? The bottle says it's for white grout, although I used it on a colored grout in my powder room and it was the only thing that worked on some yellowish stains on the grout near the toilet (they were here when we moved into this new construction home, so I'm not absolutely sure what they were). I think bleach is supposed to be bad for grout, although I tried that, too, before I got to the Finazzle. I heard about it on this forum, BTW.

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 9:31AM
iapq1990

Ah, the universal problem of little boys and urine stains......

I've been able to spruce up the stained grout around my toilet with OxyClean.

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 9:51AM
toomuchstuph

Please be VERY careful with the Finazzle. I've used it and it does work better then anything else I've used. HOWEVER...I was really frustrated with some stained grout around the toilet. I sprayed it down with finazzle and let it set for a hour or so. Went back and attacked it with the grout scrub brush and the grout literally disolved! I now have an area with about 1/2 as much grout as it should have.

I've debated having it regrouted and resealed but a very big part of me just wants to have the entire floor ripped out and put in the largest tile I can with the least amount of grout. If I do a new floor, you can bet it won't be white ;-)

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 3:37AM
kenfused

I tried everything today!

Oxi clean
soft scrub
Vinegar and baking soda

nothing!

Finally Bar Keeps Friend seemed to do the trick!!!

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™