Hey Krissie - Did you ever find a good way to clean your grout?

betsyhacJune 3, 2012

I've been reading ad nauseam tonight about cleaning grout and your name kept coming up? :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

betsyhac,

The best solution I found to clean grout was to dissolve several (6?) "Finish Powerball" dishwasher detergent blocks in bucket of hot water and pour over the tile/grout area and allow to soak for an hour. Had to keep re-wetting off and on.

Too much dishwasher detergent will make floor very slick and harder to rinse off. Not enough detergent and grout will not come clean.

Used a grout brush, long narrow with both sides beveled to center attached to long handle. Grout brush and long handle were purchased from a janitorial supply place (brush $25, handle $10). The wide rectangle grout brushes do not work, they do not get down in the grout line. Was able to stand upright and scrub the grout lines. Takes lots of elbow grease, it does work.

If light colored grout is real dirty, almost dark brown or black it might take more than one scrubbing to get it clean. My grout was off white, think it was called almond color.

Best to allow grout dry completely, no walking on it for a day using fans to help dry, then put a good impregnator sealer on the grout.

Krissie

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 1:37PM
krissie55

BUMP!

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 8:21PM
betsyhac

Hi Krissie,
Thx SO much. I'm going to roll up my sleeves and have at it.
Betsy

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 10:21AM
betsyhac

Hi Krissie,
I'm back. I'm having a hard time finding that brush. Did you buy yours locally or online?
Thx,
B

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 10:56AM
krissie55

Betsyhac,

This is the grout line brush I have:

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/88777/Unger-Swivel-Brush---8.6-Length,-PET-bristles.htm

It is UNGER brand. Could not find a number for identification on the brush. I checked the Unger website but did not find the brush. www.ungerglobal.com

The PET bristles are very stiff with almost no give to them.

I bought mine at the local janitoral supply. Also bought the handle at same time. Have no idea whether it will be easy to find a handle or not.

Krissie

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 12:24PM
betsyhac

Krissie, you rock. Was able to order from Unger website - on sale!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
cleaning brass & copper
Hello everyone I somehow inherited a box of old old...
laalasa
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
Sebo K3 vs Bank
Our remodel included replacing carpet and tile flooring...
Saje
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™