Solid Wood Construction?

luvn2oxfrdApril 23, 2012

Help. I am getting bogged down in terminology for our bathroom remodel. I am looking for a decent quality pre-fab 60" double vanity. I have found two that I like and am trying to figure out if one is better made than the other.

The Water Creation Manhattan vanity claims that it is "solid wood construction" with solid wood 5/8" hard maple drawer boxes, dovetailed, soft close door hinges, under-mount drawer slides, and 5-piece door construction.

The Avanity Madison claims solid birch frame and hardwood with soft-close doors and drawers.

I realize I am not getting a $3000 vanity for $1500, but I would like the best quality for the price. Can someone enlighten me, please?

Here are the spec links:

http://www.water-creation.com/retailer/600%20x%20600/Vanities/Spec%20Sheet/Manhattan%2060.pdf

http://www.avanity.biz/pdf/MADISON-V60-LE.pdf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2sillydogs

I went through the same thing! Email both companies and ask if they contain any MDF. If one doesn't, I would go with it!

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 10:31AM
writersblock

On the other hand, you have to consider reality a bit, too. My current vanity is plain ol' builder-built particle board and while it's ugly, bad for storage, and too short, structurally there's not a thing the matter with it and it's been in the bathroom since 1979, including going through three hurricanes, with the wind-driven rain that came in via the fan vent.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 1:20PM
passport4vicki

I also am considering the Avanity Madison vanity because I can get a linen cabinet to match it. luvn2oxfrd, did you order from Avanity? If so, are you happy with it?

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 3:06PM
williamsem

Well, the maple drawers and dovetail construction are pluses. I believe 5 piece door construction is also a plus if they are joined correctly. Not an expert in this area, but i've been learning a lot between the just finished bathroom remodel and the upcoming kitchen remodel.

I'm sure someone can offer a more definitive answer.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
American Standard Vormax Toilet
Does any one have an experience with this toilet? http://www.americanstandard-us.com/vormax/ I...
David
American Standard Town Square Toilet
Does anyone here have the American Standard Town Square...
mrsdindinbaby
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™