"Regular" ovens with steam

eleenaApril 26, 2013

Do you think that the steam feature is going to become "standard" in most ovens any time soon? Just like convection 10 years ago.

I am debating whether I should get a full-size oven right now or wait till it has steam. If I am not mistaken, KitchenAid already has (or was going to have) one.

I can do without a larger oven for awhile but don't want to wait for 10 years. :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

IMHO, it's a gimmick that will go away entirely. And convection isn't even close to being "standard". Most ranges and ovens sold are not convection models.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 2:20PM
attofarad

I'm not saying that the convection models sell in the larger numbers, but looking at the wall oven models on AJM, there are 250 convection models and only 95 non-convection. The percentage is even higher when considering only single ovens.

Convection is a fairly cheap feature, even when done right. Steam, depending on what is being implemented, is not.

Steam combi ovens will not proliferate, but they will not go away either. Their cost is beyond the interest or budget of most people, and most of what they do can be done in another manner: if all you want to do is put a crust on some bread, you
can put a pan with some lava rock on a lower rack in a regular oven, and pour some water in at the appropriate time; you can steam on the cook top, etc.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 2:49PM
barryv_gw

I don't think that steam combi's will become as common as convection - to make a combi you need to add a water boiler, much more intensive controls ( so you can set the amount of steam ) make the oven cavity more or less sealed ( so the steam doesn't escape ) and stainless so that it doesn't rust, and make the glass not shatter when it gets hits with condensation. On the other hand, Sharp has addressed all those issues in a countertop version 120 volt model for under $500 - I would think a regular manufacturer could make a combi steam wall oven at 240 volts at a price much more attractive than the current offerings from the high end manufacturers which are admittedly very expensive.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Double Gaggeneau Oven vs. Single with Microwave/Convection
We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen. I...
C C
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
True Refrigerator (residential)
I came across this beautiful photo of a True refrigerator...
ltislander
Removal of Dishwasher Detergent Build-Up
I have a Miele dishwasher in a rental unit that has...
dimond
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™