Mystery Yellow Stain on White Cotton Blanket

angiepangieJune 28, 2013

I bought a nice, pretty cotton blanket second hand. The bottom. half has a yellow cast to it. I soaked in in a triple dose of White Brite for an hour, washed it, then soaked in in bleach for 10 minutes. It has faded, but is still noticeable. The blanket is on the older side so I am not sure what to do with it now. I have no idea what the stain was. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
egbar

ok, went and looked up white brite, it is a sulfite meant to take out mineral or rust type stains. look for either enzyme stain remover (gets meat, urine, coffee, etc) or oxy based products (removes soap stains, makeup or dye type stains,
yellow from chemicals such as deodorant and perfumes)
Use separately. rinse the blanket and dry completely before commencing each treatment. If one doesn't take the stain out, the other might. best wishes

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 11:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Try Oxyclean. My cousin collects antique linens and swears by the stuff. She soaked some yellowed lace curtains in Oxy and they came out snow white. You might also try asking your local Dry Cleaner. They have cleaning methods, solvents and chemicals available that most people cannot buy.

This post was edited by jannie on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 9:30

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 7:39AM
More Discussions
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Has anyone tried Green Works?
I see Costco has Green Works. DH and I are planning...
myclementine
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™