Some type of 'fleas'??

annova914June 15, 2009

I'm going nuts with some type of fleas that first appeared in an upstairs bathroom 2 summers ago. Now they're concentrating just on our kitchen, all around the window over the sink area of the counters. Our pest control guy was here last week, saw them but offered me no solution as to how to get rid of them (he was here for our quarterly ant spraying). I've seen them outside around a stone planter on the front stoop. Our cat is strictly indoors and has never had fleas (and these don't look like fleas that cats attract). I'm calling them fleas because I have no idea what they are. They're very tiny. Just sprayed the entire area around the window and counter with Raid. Ugh! I'm just wondering if this is some type of cyclical insect that is making its appearance after many years (sort of like the cicadas...we had them back in '04 here in the metro DC area).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Google fungus gnats.... tehre are gnats that live in plqnt soil and even in sink drains....see if that's what you have.
Linda C

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 7:29PM
annova914

Thanks, Linda! OK I just googled fungus gnats but when I looked at the photo and read the description...I don't think what we have are fungus gnats. Our "whatevers" don't have legs (or ones that I can see). and no big wings either. When I see them on the counter, at first glance they look like tiny dark crumbs..then they move. I think I'm going to catch some and see if I can show them to a county extension agent (ticks me off that my pest control guy had no idea how to get rid of them...or that the spray he used that kills ants, silver fish and spider crickets is not killing these insects). I'll do some more googling, though so thanks for the suggestion. Ann

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 7:44PM
sewhappy_2007

I can't give you any advice on what critters you have, but instead of using Raid in your kitchen, try using Home Defense by Ortho. It's safe around food, kids, pets, etc. and lasts a long time. Doesn't smell bad either.

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 8:03AM
kdoyle35_hotmail_com

I also have some type of fleas in my bathroom...they are around the sink and on the counter. They are small & black and don't appear to have legs, but can jump. Haven't seen them actually fly. I don't see them near the window. They appear in late Spring & last most of the summer...I really don't know what they are or what to do about them?

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™