Blue Star Broiler

catman_gwApril 20, 2012

We moved back to our renovated house last week. I have a 24" BS range. When I broil with the oven door closed it cycles on and off. When I do it with the door open the greasy smoke misses the hood and my smoke alarms go off. The BS book says it's supposed to cycle so I'm assuming that the door should be shut. Letting it cycle seems silly because it sits for 30 seconds or a minute with no heat. What good is that? How do you BS owners do it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dodge59

They takes the batteries out of thier smoke detectors, Catman

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 3:04PM
tyguy

Catman: I don't have smoke detectors yet installed, as I live in a shell of a house while its beeing completely rebuilt inside.

I pop my door open but I do have a 27" deep hood tho and that seems to capture a lot of any smoke that the broiler produces. I would also say I don't use my broiler too often for really smokey things like searing a steak for example as I have a grill and do it on there.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 3:45PM
alexrander

If I'm searing a steak, I leave the door open a crack so that the thermostat won't cycle on and off. And like dodge sez, take the batteries out. For other foods that actually cook under the broiler, I close the door. But of course those foods don't smoke anyhow.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 3:49PM
catman_gw

Dodge, ty and alex, thanks for replying. I tried it again yesterday so here's a revision. The hood works better than I thought. The first time I only was running it at half speed because it has been catching all the smoke from the stove top that way and I didn't think I'd need more. So yesterday I ran it at full and it does catch the smoke with the door open. This time I had a grease fire because I put a steak in a flat pan and the puddle around it caught fire. So I pulled the rack out to blow it out and I could see it all going into the hood anyway. And it didn't set off the smoke alarm. The hood's a 30" BS with a 1000 CFM BS blower on the roof.

I'm not used to such a hot broiler even though it's the real reason I wanted the stove. You can char meat and the inside is rare.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 8:34AM
alexrander

You probably know this, but, if you use a broiler pan with a rack that elevates the meat from the bottom of the pan, you'll have better luck not catching the fat on fire.

I rarely use the big one that comes with the range, I just put a small grill over a shallow pan.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool
This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid,...
detroit_burb
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Liebherr cs2062 door badly scratched
Hi everyone, I am considering the purchase of a "scratch...
Chris Treadwell
36" induction cooktop with bridge
So far we've only found two 36" induction glass-top...
woodysapsucker
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
Sponsored Products
Tribeca Shag Wool Area Rug
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Darya Rugs Ziegler, Blue, 8'5" x 9'10" M1765-135
Darya Rugs
Delft Blue No. 8 by Moooi
$747.00 | Lumens
Oceanside Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
MC 813005 17.3 ft C3 Green Wire 50 LED Christmas Lights
EnvironmentalLights.com