How to remove mold and mildew stains from polyester shower curtai

the1behinduJune 19, 2008

I'm looking for some solutions or cleaning ideas that will remove the black mold and mildew stains from polyester shower curtains? The lable states "mold and mildew stain free" but that dosnt seem to be the case. We've tried bleach but that only leaves white spots on yellow shower curtains. ( I work in a small hotel as a housekeeper. We've asked for new shower curtains but so far none have come to us.. so I'm trying to find out how we can get these stains to fade and go away, or is this something permanant?) We wash the shower curtains frequently and the stains just seem to stay. Any ideas besides ordering new ones that the boss wont do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

Bleach the whole shower curtain and if it turns white, enjoy a different color in the decor!!

Fortunately my shower curtain is already white and washing in bleach works well.

However, if the curtains have had black mildew in them for a long time, it may not come out even with bleach.

Most likely the bathrooms are small and little or no air circulation. New curtains will get the same way in a short time.

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 12:32PM
breenthumb

What color were they to begin with? I know bleach yellows white polyester, so what color were they originally?

Seems I've had good luck removing spots like that from DH's shirts (they were forgotten on basement floor) by soaking in ammonia and water for quite a while. But it was a while ago. If you can spare a couple long enough to soak it may work and sure wouldn't hurt. Sandy

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 2:18PM
boystown

You might have luck with soaking the curtain in Oxyclean

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 9:04AM
jannie

I would throw them out, because in my experience, nothing fully gets rid of mold and mildew. The cost of a new shower curtain and liner is not worth the agravation, and smell, IMO.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 11:59AM
graywings123

I sense the slightest whiff of SPAM in the above post, but I took a look at the site. I agree with the idea of pulling the shower curtain away from the tub to dry, but you certainly don't need to pay $10 plus shipping for a clip to do that.

I bought a clip at Home Depot for less than $2. Another thing that works really well is placing a plastic clothes basket in the tub after you finish showering and draping the shower curtain around it. Or even a bucket - just anything to keep the shower curtain from touching the side of the tub.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 9:31AM
buckeyebabe22

I agree. I like the idea of airing it out to help eliminate moisture and mold. Does anyone know of any other ways to help with that? I'm afraid that a basket or bucket will scratch the tub and I couldn't find the above-mentioned clip on home depot's website. I looked at the shower hook thing posted earlier and they say they will send you two of those hooks and a free shower curtain for $10. Does anybody know of anything cheaper that won't scratch the tub?

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 12:20AM
graywings123

Here are three ways to do it:
Command adhesive spring clip mounted on the wall opposite the shower curtain

My current method: spring clip tied to shower head hose:

My previous method: plastic clothes basket in the shower:

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
How do you clean your oven racks?
I just ran the self-cleaning feature on my Gaggenau...
kawfeeaddict
How Do You Clean Whirlpool Jets??
We're building a new house and have ordered a whirlpool...
MrsBigE
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
Sponsored Products
Rigid Riser Kit, Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve, Round Head & Handset
Hudson Reed
Steam Spa Royal Package for Steam Spa 4.5kW Steam Generators in Chrome
Beyond Stores
Grohe Kensington Thermostat Trim - Starlight Chrome
Modern Bathroom
VIGO 48-inch Frameless Shower Door 3/8" Frosted/Stainless Steel Hardware Right w
Modern Bathroom
Thermostatic Shower Panel, Waterfall & Rain Head, Handset & Body Jets
Hudson Reed
DreamLine Solo Sliding Shower Enclosure and 33x33-inch Shower Base
Overstock.com
DreamLine 60x32 SlimLine Single Threshold Shower Base
Overstock.com
Mosaic Tile: Epoch Architectural Surfaces Flooring Varietals Zinfandel-1652
$3.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™