Bluestar, Capital Culinarian, American Range Simmer Question

wayhopApril 27, 2013

Hi all-

I *think* I have read every posting about all 3 of these brands here on GW. We're going to buy a 36" all burner rangetop. My question is specifically about the simmer abilities of each.

We had a 3 year old Thermador gas cooktop whose burners didn't get hot enough, but they did hold a quart of pizza sauce at a perfect simmer. We now have a 13 year old Dacor gas that doesn't go low enough to simmer without hitting a boil.

I read in one posting that Trevor tested a CC at a simmer and it came in over 212. Both the BS and CC say they have 135 or 140 simmer abilities. The AR has an 8.5 simmer burner. I'm confused.

I'd love to hear about your experience with your ability to simmer a sauce below the boil. And, if there is something you wish you had asked before you bought, what is it?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noopd

I have the CC stove and i think it simmers fine. the whole questions really depends on what you are simmering, what type of cookware you are using. If you are simmering at least 2-3 quart of liquid in an uncovered pot, it simmers well,. If you cover it,, it will eventually come to a boil..

If you doing a lot of small quantity simmering, I believe they have a new simmer head you can choose.

Overall. I like my CC.. I think all three ranges are pretty good so you probably won't go wrong with either one, although I haven not work with BS or AR before

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 1:44PM
PRO
trevorlawson

The American range has the worst simmer of the 3 you mention, with the addition of a dedicated small pan burner on the CC, the BS and CC are now hard to split, both simmer equally as well as each other.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 1:51PM
mata

I have a 36" Bluestar RNB. The simmer burner is great. I was recently distracted several minutes while melting a stick of butter. The butter just continued to melt without browning or boiling.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 2:02PM
gtadross_gw

I second Mata's point. My RNB simmers just fine on ALL burners, including the 22k burners.

I've added a third 22k burner in the front row so now, my entire front three burners are all 22k. So I literally am cooking on a 22k burner with every cook. Needless to say, the high heat is impeccable as is the simmer. I've made poached eggs a plenty and rice for one and marinara from scratch and lots of other things that require very gentle heat. Never have I found the 22k burners to be too hot on simmer.

For purposes of full disclosure, I did adjust every one of my six burners to have that superlow flame by pulling the knobs off and tinkering with the screw inside. Plenty of people do it in order to get a lower simmer than comes from the factory. Very easy to do all 6 burners in about 10 minutes total and no special tools required. Just need a small sturdy flat head screwdriver and you're set.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 11:39PM
eve72

Does a true pro-commercial restaurant range have a simmer burner? If not, how do they accomplish this task? I don't know so I ask.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 7:28PM
cookncarpenter

I have a 36" RNB and I seem to be able to achieve the same simmer on all burners, It's just that the simmer burner is better suited for small diameter saucepans. Tip for BS owners: I found that by turning the knobs down to the right, towards the "off" position, I can attain a lower heat, than all the way to the left "low" position...

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 7:58PM
alexrander

Some commercial ranges have a French top, or griddle type of plate if they make a lot of sauces. Otherwise they just put the pan off to the side of the burner.

The newest Culinarians have one specific simmer burner for small plates. The larger burners are of course adjustable down to a simmer, but not as low as the special simmer burner. Blluestar is much the same, although they also have a mid-sized burner as well.

American also has various sized burners. And as mentioned, the simmer (or the low) can be adjusted somewhat on all the burners.

A tip to cdycdm who posted above. You can set the low simmer (turning the knob to the left) just as low as turning the knob towards off. You would need to slide the knobs off and use a small screwdriver and set the flames lower. You can do a search here to find out how or call Bluestar.

Here's a video to help you adjust your low setting- it's for a different brand, but the idea is the same

Here is a link that might be useful: adjusting a simmer flame

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:38AM
cookncarpenter

Thanks for that adjustment tip alexr! I'll give that a try...

Well, that adjustment took all of five minutes! Thanks again!

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 10:37

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:08AM
Mistman

Also when adjusting the simmer toward the off position it will disable the re-ignite feature on a BS as per the manual. No experience with it personally.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:03PM
alexrander

You're welcome ctycdm....I can't believe I may have actually helped someone!

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Latest on Bluestar 30" RCS Gas Range Over Door Temp
Hi, First, thank you to all community members who have...
htwoozik
Best dishwasher with a heated dry option?
Does anyone have recommendations for a dishwasher that...
My4thGarden
Miele 643g dishwasher
I bought a house that has this dishwasher. I do not...
cbsdesign
Help installing power cord to 48inch dual wolf range
I'm trying to install the power cord, not sure how...
rubyrashel
Dual Fuel Slide in Range Recommendations
I am looking to replace my 12 year old jenn air slide...
stp92x
Sponsored Products
Alo LED Table Lamp by Cerno
$445.50 | Lumens
43" Casa Optima Oil Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Large Poppies Ivory 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Windham Pendant by Hudson Valley Lighting
$192.00 | Lumens
Stefan Oil Rubbed Bronze Three-Light Bath Vanity
$62.00 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Select Versailles Skyways Blue 9' 6" x 12' 11"
Home Depot
Hyland Leather Sectional - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier System
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for: