Why am I having such a hard time buying Daltile?

barb7901April 25, 2013

I have put Daltile Rittenhouse subway tile 3/4 of the way up our tub surround walls. We then decided that it is too plain and that we wanted an accent piece. We picked out a marble mosaic that comes in 12x12 sheets that we can cut apart to make 4 inch strip. Simple and inexpensive. But it needs a transition piece from the subway tile as it's thicker than the tile. No problem, I thought, I'll just go to a tile store that sells Daltile and pick something out. Turns out it's not that simple.

Two stores I called won't sell to me unless they were designing and installing the tile. The Daltile dealer I originally got the Rittenhouse from only sells to contractors and asking the original contractor who ordered it for me to also order this is not an option.

I did find one store who would sell to me. My original choice was from the Tribute Collection by Precision H2O (comes in Daltile colors). Even though the brochure I have says 3-5 day lead time, the tile store said it was a custom order, would take 3 weeks, and cost close to $300 for the 50 pieces I need (half round, 1/2 x 6 inches). This is too much.

Next I found the Simple Elegance line from Daltile. The store who would sell to me said it was the same situation: 3 weeks, $300. I'm surprised at this as it seems like it would be a stock piece.

What am I missing here? Has anyone ordered Daltile from an online place or from a store in the DC area? Is $300 actually the price for 50 Simple Elegance (stock?) trim pieces? Again, all I want is a plain half round that is 1/2x6 inches. It also surprises me that in today's economy stores would turn down business

Any source sugesstions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

That's only $6 per liner. Not a bad price at all, actually. Decos and liners are the most expensive type of tile to purchase. You might consider doing something with a Schluter strip to surround your center feature tile.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:36PM
barb7901

I was going to say that it still seems high to me as I've seen Daltile liners at Home Depot for about $2 per piece but now that you mention it, that's $4 per liner foot and of course HD doesn't have the color that I want. I'll have to give it more thought!

Still, if anyone has a source that won't hold the fact that I'm a DIYer against me, please let em know.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 4:16PM
motherof3inct

Yes, they are expensive when it adds up. My tile store was charging $8.79 per pencil liner. I was planning to just have a simple accent line around the shower but it wasnt cost effective. My tile guy recommended a glass mosaic border instead at $18 sq ft saving me about $200. I mentioned using the Home Depot liners at 99â piece but he cautioned they may be varying widths.

Good luck with your search.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:05PM
kirkhall

Have you verified with HD that they can't special order your color you want? I found HD online has many more choices than in store. And, I found my tiles at a "contractor place" for 1.5x what I finally realized HD was selling (special/online order)...

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:29AM
More Discussions
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
Sponsored Products
Porcelain Floor & Wall Tile: Daltile Flooring Continental Slate Egyptian Beige
$4.75 | Home Depot
Mosaic Tile: Daltile Building Materials Keystones Unglazed Pepper White 1 in. x
$2.25 | Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Daltile Rugs Coastal Keystones Sunset Cove Brick Joint 12
$27.78 | Home Depot
Mosaic Tile: Daltile Building Materials Fashion Accents Sand 12 in. x 12 in. x
$29.73 | Home Depot
Ceramic Floor & Wall Tile: Daltile Building Materials Stratford Place Truffle 6
$2.56 | Home Depot
Metal Tile: Daltile Building Materials Metal Signatures 4-1/4 in. x 4-1/4 in.
$11.41 | Home Depot
Accents Borders & Trims: Daltile Flooring Sandalo Raffia Noce 3 in. x 12 in.
$2.80 | Home Depot
Porcelain Floor & Wall Tile: Daltile Flooring Identity Twilight Black Fabric 1
$11.98 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™