Cleaning exterior concrete

bmrbabeJune 20, 2008

I really need help with our concrete patio and sidewalks. They are really, really dirty, and I would like to get them looking as new as possible. Any suggestions for a maximum result with a minimum amount of work (!), that won't kill grass or plants? TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bestyears

A good power washer is the only thing I know of. Don't waste your time with a piddly one -it'll break your back.

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 6:19PM
lindac

Clorox....either straight or mixed 50% with water...but it will take longer.
Pour it on....wait and flush with lots of water.
I did it for years when I had a concrete patio....and so did the woman who lived here before me.
Linda C

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 6:40PM
bmrbabe

Thanks for the tips! DH bought a power washer a few years ago, but it isn't real effective. It had a really narrow stream, so you could practically "draw" on the concrete, but to get it clean all over was impossible!

Question on clorox -- how diluted does it need to be to not kill anything?? Will the 50/50 solution be okay?

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 11:47PM
cearab

You may want to check into renting a more powerful power washer. When I had my house painted, I paid a little extra and asked the painters to power wash my sidewalks, concrete back steps and driveway. I swear, it was like night and day difference. And, it didn't take them that long either. The sidewalks had bad staining from hickory and oak trees. The back steps had some mold and were very dark grey. After power washing they were practically new looking. I had no idea they would come up looking that good.
I would be concerned about all that bleach for safety reasons, myself. Then again, I have a garden right next to my patio so I wouldn't want to kill anything it it.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 12:14PM
pinkcarnation

You were probably using the wrong attachment on the power washer if all you had was a stream. With the proper head on it, a power washer will make your concrete look like new, with little actual work.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™