Removing ball point pen ink

carol_jkJune 14, 2009

I got ball point ink on some pants and have tried Spray and Wash and Wisk before laundering. Neither has removed the ink. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Spray with cheap hair spray, rub in well,then launder.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 5:08PM
joycedc

Soak in milk for about 60 minutes then wash as usual.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 11:55AM
guido_gardener

Also heard that milk would help. But I think it's best when you do that as a first attempt, I don't know if it will still be effective after you've tried using other products.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 9:27AM
gardenlover25

Glad to read this thread, I also have a shirt spilled with ink and I cannot remove the ink. I'm going to try this milk solution to see how it works.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 11:18AM
elizabethzen

Acetone is an ink solvent. Just dab the mark with a cotton ball until ink is removed and then rinse with water and wash as usual. I would first test in an inconspicuous spot to be sure the acetone doesn't remove the dye as well!

Nail polish remover has acetone in it but it is a weak solution and there may be other ingredients that you don't want for this purpose. If you don't see pure acetone on the shelf you can ask the pharmacist.

Elizabeth

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 7:46PM
mikie_gw

I had a brand new first time ever worn shirt, not a cheap one either - inked it with one of the flowing ball smooth writer pens. Blotting with hair spray and a paper towel many times completely fixed it after a wash or two also.

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 11:38PM
cooperbailey

I use hairspray and it works everytime. I even used it this winter when one of my dogs got a ball point pen and was chewing it while lying on a karastan wool rug. and yes big globs of ink got on it. hairspray to the rescue. spray, blot with white paper towel. keep repeating until gone. spot is sticky but not inky!

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 9:55AM
carol_jk

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I tried blotting with alcohol and that removed it very easily.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 10:57AM
xhappyx

Just a quick follow up: Hairspray is formulated with a lot of alcohol, so that is why it works as well as rubbing alcohol. I suppose even mouthwash would work too, due to the high alcohol content. They are all inter changeable products for removing ink.

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™