Stained Sink Mats

monicakm_gwJune 30, 2009

I use the Rubbermaid sink mats in my cast iron sink. Have forEVER and forEVER they get stained with tomato based foods. Bleach will remove 95% of the stains but it aslo makes them stiff and brittle over time. Does anyone have a t&t tip for removing stains from rubber sink mats?

Thanks,

Monica

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xhappyx

I was going to suggest bleach, but since you have tried it and are not satisfied the only alternative I can think of that "might" work would be to soak them overnight in a hot sink full of water and oxyclean?

I know there are some sort of tablets on the market to add to your dishwasher to remove tomato based stains from plastics. I have not personally used this product, but I digress... It is all that I can think of as an alternative to bleach. You could try using it in the dishwasher with your sink mats, or just put some on them and soak in hot water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cascade Plastic Booster

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 8:58AM
jaybird

I run mine in the dishwasher (wash cycle only), and they come out nice and clean. HOWEVER, they sometimes get a bit whopperjawed by the heat. I put them back in the sink anyway and they eventually smooth out!

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 11:24AM
arizonarose

I switched to the rubber coated wire racks instead of mats. They fit in the dishwasher for cleaning.Much better than the mats IMO.

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 6:16PM
florabelle1

I put the stopper in the sink, then liberally shake Comet powder into the sink, run a few inches of very hot water in it and put the sink mats in to soak overnight. My mats are white and very thick Rubbermaid ones and they come out beautiful with some light scrubbing with a long-handled dish-scrubber-type brush.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 6:18AM
More Discussions
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™