Vinegar + Shower + Tile + Grout

pbx2_gwJune 4, 2012

First time in the cleaning forum & kind of excited to see what you folks say about contradicting info I have seen on the web.

Our shower is a glass enclosure with ceramic tiles on the shower walls.

We used undiluted vinegar & lemon to spray down the shower after squeegee.

Have seen posted that this can either harm or not harm the tiles & grout & caulking around the shower.

Comments? & Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

My first thought is that if you squeegee the shower, that's good enough. What are you hoping the vinegar/lemon spray will do?

The general idea of cleaning products is that you apply something to a soiled surface for the purpose of loosening the dirt and then wipe or rinse off the soil and cleaning substance. In your case, you are spraying an acid on your shower - but to what end?

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 9:44PM
pbx2_gw

@graywings: thanks for your feedback. My goal with the vinegar is to provide an inexpensive but effective natural way to keep mold & mildew off my show walls & enclosure.

It obviously works as my shower has been extraordinarily clean ever since we started using this process.

However, I've read contradicting articles & opinions on line as to what the acidic nature of vinegar will do to the tiles & grout.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 12:39AM
trancegemini_wa

I use straight vinegar too in my shower and I've never had a problem with it doing any damage. It is good against mould

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 1:06PM
krissie55

What has worked well for me for over 20 years is to squeegee the shower and let a fan blow into the shower. I leave the fan on all night after showers.

There will be no mold in a dry shower and no possible damage of an acid gradually eating into the tile or grout surface.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 5:57PM
    Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™