Tiling bathroom: minimize time toilet is out of commission?

sam_nyApril 26, 2012

Hello,

I'm thinking about the logistics of tiling our one bathroom and wondered if anyone had some advice on how to keep the toilet down-time to a minimum. I'm tiling over existing tile, and my plan looks something like this:

Day 1) Rough up existing tile, prime surface, plan layout, pre-cut as many partials as I can;

Day 2) Thinset and lay tile

Day 3) Grout

(I'll seal the grout, caulk, fit the threshold saddle, etc. after that.)

The question of the toilet... I think I can get away with taking it out on Day 2, right before thinset/tile. So:

TOILET DOWN TIME = Time laying tile + thin-set drying time + grout drying time (30 hours?).

Any way I can get those hours down? Fast drying mortar? Install toilet before grout is dry?

I don't want to do a shoddy job, just trying to minimize how much we have to be out of the apt.

Thanks for any tips!

Sam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_g_web

My wife went to hotel when I did our ONE bath and she regretted it - terrible night sleep. 5-gallon bucket with a little dirt in the bottom works great. Or get cat litter. Not a big deal.
I know a family off the grid that uses a bucket every day.

So, relax and enjoy and do a good tile job.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 10:47PM
sam_ny

Ha! I'm going to run that by my wife just to see the look on her face. I'm pretty sure my three-year-old would be un-phased by the suggestion, though.

But seriously, I see your point and we're not super-squeamish, but I'm pretty sure we'll opt for a stay at the in-laws for the weekend.

Thanks Bill.

Sam

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 12:04PM
weedyacres

I think you're fine once the grout is in. You need to be careful walking on the floor while the grout is still drying/curing so you don't mess it up, but putting the toilet back in and covering up a few edges of grout shouldn't be a problem.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
tile drywall corner transition
I'm trying to figure out how to complete the corner...
mattt19
banjo sink? opinions?
just learned that a BANJO sink is one (or its surrounding...
mainewire
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
Faux Carrera on floor and in shower, what countertop?
Love the look of all marble bathrooms but I don't have...
rpk1
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™