Removing 'biological' material from car floor mat.

rdmuscJune 25, 2012

Unbeknownst to me, a pack of ground turkey was left on the floor board in the car for a couple of days while temps were in the 90s. This package burst open and while I was able to clean the stuff you can see, some liquid product seeped into the mat. Is there a product that can neutralize via biological process to get rid of the odors.

Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andersons21

What do you mean, biological process? For a removable mat, I would use laundry detergent with enzymes, which will break apart the proteins, and some oxygen bleach, which reduces just about anything organic, in HOT water. Let it soak for maybe an hour. Rinse, and let dry in the sun. That is what I would do if it were my car mat. Aggressive oxygen bleach+heat+sun can fade colors, so if you're sensitive to that, test first of course.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 8:16PM
rdmusc

Enzymatic process. We bought something from Home Depot today that is an enymatic cleaner. Wait to 'smell' the results.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 8:43PM
cearbhaill

Be sure and soak the area well and wait at least overnight to sop it up. The enzymes need time to do their work.
You may have to do it more than once.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 8:33PM
jannie

I'd go to a carwash and have the interior cleaned. After that, time, fresh air and sunshine are the best things. I once left a tray of shrimps on the floor of my car, another time spilled a gallon of milk. Time,air, sun.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 8:12AM
rdmusc

The insurance company is going to put out about $2000 to have the carpets replaced and the underlying metal floor cleaned and disinfected. All this for a $50 deductible. I can tell you,though, rotting ground turkey is pretty putrid smelling.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 7:23AM
emma

Wow, I didn't know the insurance company would pay for something like that. Lucky you!

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™