Removing blood stain from vintage quilt.

pump_toadJune 28, 2007

I am trying to determine if I should try to remove a stain from a old quilt that looks like a blood stain or if I should just leave it.Actually, its more like a comforter and is only on the backing so does not show on the front but it certainly does not add to the charm of this neat old piece.

Someone told they have used lemon juice and salt.Has anyone used this method or have a better suggestion. I just want to clean the spot and not the whole quilt.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scarlett2001

Your success depends on the material from which it is made and the strength of the fiber. If it is a really valuable quilt, you may want to contact a museum's costume restoration dept. to see what is safe to use.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 2:14PM
lindac

I agree....
Any method I know of for safely removing a blood stain involves soaking the piece in something...Orvis....hydrogen peroxide....cold water....or an oxygen bleach.
I know of no spot cleaner.
Linda C

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 5:32PM
pump_toad

Thanks for your replies.After looking at the fabric closly I have decided I had better just leave it.It is not torn or anything but looks very old and fragile so it probably would not last if I it had to soak it.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
momintennies
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™