Mid-century black & white tile patterns?

NilaJonesApril 26, 2013

Hello folks :).

I bought a lovely 1950s sky blue tub at a salvage yard, and want to do some sort of black and white tile surround. I am hoping for design suggestions!

I love the look of black, white, and blue together. I don't like subway tile, and think square tiles would suit the era of the tub better. (Do you agree?) Dark grout is pretty much an essential in our climate.

But I don't know what pattern I want! All checkerboard would be too much. Maybe 6" skinny trim around the tub edge and top, alternating B&W, and the rest plain white? That doesn't seem right, either...

Do any of you wise folks have thoughts or pictures to share?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ChristaM

One suggestion would be to look at DalTile mosaics. You can build your own custom blends to order. So you could pick 70% white, 20% black, 10% blue. That would be something a homeowner could have done in the 1950s. http://www.daltile.com
Their website is bad and their customer service is worse IMHO, but they do have the authentic tile used in original MCM homes.

Another route you could take would be to get cement tile floors in custom colors. Granada tile has a gorgeous blue pigment. You could design a pattern using blue/black/white from them. They have several geometric patterns that I think would work well in an MCM home. Their customer service is very good.
http://www.granadatile.com

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NilaJones

Thank you, ChristaM!

To clarify, I am not looking to incorporate blue into the tile pattern, only black and white. The blue comes form the tub :).

I'm going now to check out the granadatile site!

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
Help choosing a vanity top?
I am trying to choose a vanity tops for my renovated...
singers11
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™