Cleaning a gas grill

christians1June 10, 2006

I recently was given a used gas grill. What is the best way to clean it? I would like to clean the whole thing. The grates and the out side of it.

Thanks,

Christian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

I'm not sure what you mean by "the grates are on the out side of it." I assume you are talking about a regular outdoor BBQ.

When I clean our grill, I wash the grates, of course. If the briquets are covered with burned on drippings, they can be replaced. I got some at Target recently, better price than the BBQ store.

For my BBQ, the grate the briquets rest on is falling apart, but I'm making do with it for now. I'm sure it can be replaced at the BBQ store. As for the burners themselves, I take a pin and poke any of the gas holes that are clogged.

I'm sure there are other things to do, but that's all I know to do. If you know the brand, you might check online to see if they have a website with more info, or maybe you could even get a manual for it.

Have fun.

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 9:49AM
shaun

I heard once that you can take the grates out, spray them with Oven Cleaner, Easy Off, then put them into a big trash bag and leave them overnight. (outside)

Next day, hose them off. I've never tried this but it sounds like it'd work.

If the outside of the grill is stainless steel, they make a cleaner for that too.

Bookmark   June 17, 2006 at 10:49PM
jejvtr

take everything out - spray with easy off - inside, grates let sit - get gloves, brillo, hose scrub, rinse scrub/wipe rinse

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 12:26AM
hey_starfish

I clean the inside of my grill using the incineration method. Basically I'll fire up the flame on high and lay a sheet of aluminum foil with the shiny-side down on the grate. Close the lid and in twenty minutes all of the former crusty bbq stuff has turned into a white powder. When the grill cools off, this dust wipes off easily with a rag or brush. Cleanning the outside depends on material.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 10:12PM
maimie

I was given this method a few years ago which is beyond easy. Spray cooking oil on cold grill rack. Then turn on & leave on high, with top closed, for about 20-30 min. Turn off gas & all residue can be cleaned off w/a grill brush. Works everytime for me.

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 4:23PM
idontknowbrian

Turn the burners on high, let it get real hot shut the burners off and powerwash the hell out of it and bam good as new.

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 4:09PM
fandlil

Unless the grids are realy gooky, you don't need to put anything one them. Just turn on the burners for a few minutes, and the heat will effectively sterilize them and burn off any congealed fat from the last time.

Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Pine Sol Original Has Changed For The Worst
Im a 47 yo male, have been a neat clean guy all my...
northwoods
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
Mold/ Mildew out of clothing, Can it be done?
I have a pink and a blue shirt that were not unpacked...
saphire
Sponsored Products
Feiss Monterey Coast Outdoor Wall Lantern - 26H in. Brushed Aluminum Multicolor
$399.00 | Hayneedle
Cross Pendant by Resident
$1,395.00 | Lumens
Z-Lite 1-light Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Oval Regency 48" High Beveled Mirror
Lamps Plus
Da Vinci Stainless Steel 12-Light Crystal Swarovski Element Pendant Light, 12W x
Bellacor
Sonneman | Candle Plus 17 Inch LED Pendant Light
$270.00 | YLighting
Lamps: Roarke 65 in. Lamp with Adjustable Heads 20970ORB
Home Depot
Ivory Herringbone Jute Rug
$24.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™