unplugged freezer

bspoffordJune 25, 2009

A friend has a chest freezer that was unplugged so the plug could be used by a worker, then not plugged back in. It sat for a month out in the garage....

The contents have been removed and she has tried to clean it with bleach, baking soda, and prayer. Still stinks to high heaven.

Is there any way to salvage the freezer?

Barbara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Clean it with bleach, leave the lid open for at least 24 hours. This has happened to me. My kids left my chest freezer open, nobody noticed till days later.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 10:26AM
albert_135

Second time in as many weeks I have come across unplugged freezer stories. One would thing that the electronics people know about an inexpensive warning device. I think I will ask around.

If you live where there is significant sunlight you might try moving it into the sunlight while attempting more ordinary cleaning methods.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:11AM
ebear1271

Not sure if this will work in a freezer but it works great in rooms. Put a bowl of vinegar in the freezer, close the lid and leave it for at least a few hours. Vinegar absorbs odors. I do it regularly in the bathrooms, and sometimes in my teenage son's room. I also put some in the car to absorb smoke odor.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 1:11AM
albert_135

This will only help preventing future cleaning problems with unplugged freezers. The people on Gardenweb's Electronics Forum say that there are so called indoor/outdoor thermometers which have warnings features and can be purchased quite inexpensively.

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 1:17PM
mikie_gw

Cold kills the odor, and time kills the smelly source.
Wash it well,, plug it in smelly or not. You wont smell it once it cools down and over time the source of the smell that you cant clean which is in the insulation areas will go away.

BTDT .. been there done that!

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 7:06PM
sheilajoyce_gw

A mover suggested to my friend that she put a sock filled with fresh coffee grounds in the freezer and frige as they moved across country to prevent the smell.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 5:31PM
eteinne

This happened to me a few years ago. I went to my local pet shop and bought activated charchoal. l and used the coffee as well I just dumped it on cheap paper plates and in 3 days there was no smell.

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Sink Scratches
My white (porcelain?) sink gets silvery scratch marks...
jinnufr
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™