Can anyone help me identify this?

dragonfly_wingsJune 6, 2010

I'm hoping that others have run across this while cleaning and can help me to identify it.

It is a kind of web embedded with what looks like wood dust particles. It's located along the wood frame to my brick fireplace. I can wipe it away, no problem. In fact I've done that before, but it eventually shows up again.

But what is causing it? I don't see any insects in or around it. Is it a sign of termites or wood ants or what?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

How old is your house?

    Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 2:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This house was built in the 80's, so it's around 25-30 years old.

    Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 6:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You have carpenter ants which need immediate attention if you want to minimize the damage to your home. Do not try to handle this yourself. Call in a professional who specializes in dealing with carpenter ants. If you try to handle it yourself, chances are you will not be successful and all you will do is make it more difficult for the professionals when you do eventually call them in. This would be a case of throwing away a dollar to save a penny. It may cost a few to have the pros in, but in the long run, it will be the cheaper and safer option.

    Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 2:11PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Has anyone tried Green Works?
I see Costco has Green Works. DH and I are planning...
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™