removing red wine stains

cearabJune 16, 2008

I'm not usually a red wine drinker, but I had a glass last night and accidently spilled a decent amount on a cotton knit blouse. I soaked it overnight with some Dawn, and the stain is lighter, but still quite large. Since I've never spilled red wine before, I'm not sure what the proper cleaning method is. I searched the forum and nothing came up. If you have some suggestions, they would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

hydrogen peroxide will take it out. If you don't have any, use Windex. Spray, blot, repeat, until the stain is gone. Then wash normally.

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 11:23AM
sheilajoyce_gw

I usually soak my red wine spills in 1 cup of Cascade electric dishwasher detergent and 1 cup of laundry detergent in the lowest setting of hot water in the machine overnight. Run the load in the morning. once usually takes it out. If you must use cold water, give it a try, but be sure to dissolve the soaps in the water well before turning off the machine to soak the blouse overnight. Don't put it in the dryer till you have all the stain out.

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 3:02PM
nwroselady

My mother's mantra for cleaning fruit juice stains (including wine) was "boiling water, poured from a height." I can remember one of the post-holiday meal rituals was checking the white lace tablecloth for wine stains, and if there were we would fill the tea kettle, boil water, hold the affected area of the tablecloth over the sink and pour the boiling water through the fabric. It's best to do this when the stain is fresh. It works.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 1:38AM
lindaco

I've had good luck with Woolite carpet cleaning foam on clothing stained with red wine, spaghetti sauce, other red stains. But I've been told for blood the cleaning solution must be cold.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 5:50AM
More Discussions
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!
Hi all, I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage...
jlknovi
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™