How to clean Corain counters?

duchampJune 20, 2011

My Corian kitchen countertop (actually it's Avonite, same thing) is a bit grimy today and I usually use just a mixture of white vinegar and water to clean it. Should I try something else? What does everyone else use? One thing I notice is that even when it's clean, it has a bit of a dull look to it, I'm wondering what I can do to give it back some sheen, too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I'd contact the manufacturer. Or perhaps a flooring store that sells the same product. I personally don't trust cleaning with vinegar because it's a mild acid, not necessarily anti-bacterial and causes minor pits and hazing on surfaces.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 8:35AM
SharperClean

The most important thing to remember when cleaning Corian, is to wipe the surface dry after cleaning. If you leave it to air dry, a film can build up on the surface. This film will end up leaving the counter looking dull or blotchy. Clean with water, soapy water, or solid-surface cleaners specially designed for Corian surfaces. Never use window cleaners, as they will leave a film that will eventually dull the surface.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 7:34AM
duchamp

Thanks all. I'm aware that you're not supposed to leave water to dry on Corian, though with a really large counter like mine it's pretty hard to live every day without a spot of water getting left on the counter, lol.

Thanks again for the input! :)

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 10:06AM
gibby2015

I don't know about Avonite but I don't use anything special to clean my Corian counters. Usually just soapy water or an all purpose cleaner like 409. That's one of the things I like about this counter - no special treatment and it always looks great. My counter has a matte finish so I wouldn't know about trying to get a sheen to it.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 12:40AM
More Discussions
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™